COVID-19 Travel Insurance (post from 2020 Feb to 2022 Nov)

Welcome to the Community @Geoft8888,

I merged your query into this existing topic about Travel Insurance and COVID19 issues. Any answers to your query will be valuable additions to what has already been posted.

That is unfortunately the case because of the complexity of what policies do and do not cover and under what conditions.

Hopefully someone will have found one. FWIW I have discovered that travel policies issued for residents in different countries can be wildly different from other countries and those on offer to us seem pretty ordinary in comparison to some, although better than a few.

Hi all.

We’re collecting more data on travel insurance covid cover now. Below (if it’s readable), is a table of cover information. Please note this data is still being verified, so there could be errors (my errors), so please don’t share it outside the community. I’m happy to share it here since I know you’ll check the PDS before you buy. And if you do spot any errors, please let us know (it will help our verifiers).

Medical cover Cancellation or amendment expenses Additional expenses
Brand - Policy (Underwriter) If diagnosed with Covid -19 on your trip ($) If diagnosed with COVID-19 ($)⁴ If you are deemed a close contact ($)⁴ If Smartraveller advice changed to ‘Do Not Travel’, after you bought the policy but before you depart Accommodation / quarantine and travel expenses if you get COVID-19 on your trip ($)⁴
1Cover - Comprehensive (Lloyds) Unlimited No No No No
1Cover - Essentials (Lloyds) Unlimited No No No No
1Cover - Medical (Lloyds) Unlimited No No No No
Go Insurance - Go Basic (Lloyds) Unlimited 5000 5000 No 5000⁡
Go Insurance - Go Elite (Lloyds) Unlimited 25000 25000 No 25000⁡
Go Insurance - Go Plus (Lloyds) Unlimited 20000 20000 No 20000⁡
AHM - International Comprehensive (Zurich) Unlimited YesÂł YesÂł No Unlimited
AHM - International Medical only (Zurich) Unlimited No No No Unlimited
Allianz - Basic (Allianz) Unlimited No No No No
Allianz - Comprehensive (Allianz) Unlimited YesÂł No No 50,000
Cover-More - International Basic (Zurich) Unlimited YesÂł YesÂł No Unlimited
Cover-More - International Comprehensive + (Zurich) Unlimited YesÂł YesÂł No Unlimited
Cover-More - International Comprehensive/Inbound (Zurich) Unlimited YesÂł YesÂł No Unlimited
Fast Cover - Comprehensive (Hollard) Unlimited 5000 No No 5000⁡
Fast Cover - Standard Saver (Hollard) Unlimited 3000 No No 3000⁡
Flight Centre - International Essentials (Zurich) Unlimited YesÂł YesÂł No Unlimited
Flight Centre - International Plus (Zurich) Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited No Unlimited
Gofreely - On-Trip Policy Cover (Zurich) Unlimited YesÂł YesÂł No Unlimited
Insure4Less - Essentials (Chase) Unlimited No No No No
Insure4Less - Excel (Chase) Unlimited No No No No
InsureandGo - Gold (Mitsui Sumitomo) Unlimited 5000 No No 5000
InsureandGo - Silver (Mitsui Sumitomo) Unlimited 2500 No No 2500
Jetstar - Essentials Plus (AIG) 2.5 Mil 10000⁾ No No 2100⁸
Medibank - International Comprehensive (Zurich) Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited No Unlimited⁡
Medibank - International Medical only (Zurich) Unlimited No No No Unlimited
Qantas - (NIB) Unlimited 2500 2500⁜ No 2500⁡
RACV - Comprehensive (Tokio Marine) Unlimited 3500 3500 Yes Unlimited⁡
Travel Insurance Direct - The Works (NIB) Unlimited 2500 No Yes 2500⁡
Tick travel insurance - Standard (Mitsui Sumitomo) Unlimited 2500 No No 2500
Tick travel insurance - Top (Mitsui Sumitomo) Unlimited 2500 No No 2500
Travel Insurance Saver - Bare Essentials (Pacific International Insurance) Unlimited² No No No No
Travel Insurance Saver - Comprehensive (Pacific International Insurance) Unlimited 2500 2500 No 2500⁡
Travel Insurance Saver - Essentials (Pacific International Insurance) Unlimitedš No No No No
TravelInsuranz - Premier (Chase) Unlimited No No No No
TravelInsuranz - Deluxe (Chase) Unlimited No No No No
Webjet - International Travel Safe (Zurich) Unlimited YesÂł YesÂł No Unlimited
Webjet - International Travel Safe Plus (Zurich) Unlimited YesÂł YesÂł No Unlimited
World2Cover - International Single trip plan - Top Cover (Tokio Marine) Unlimited 3500 3500 Yes Unlimited⁡
Worldcare - Comprehensive (Allianz) Unlimited YesÂł No No 50,000
Worldcare - Essentials (Allianz) Unlimited YesÂł No No 50,000
World Nomads - Explorer (NIB) Unlimited 2500 No Yes 2500⁡
1. 500k medical evacuation and repatriation costs
2. 250k medical evacuation and repatrisation costs
3. Cover provided up to amount chosen when you buy the policy
4. Limit combined across cancellation, amendment and additional expenses unless otherwise stated.
Dollar limits are double for a family or duo policy
5. Jetstar doesn’t cover cancellation if diagnosed with Covid-19 on your trip
6. Qantas doesn’t cover cancellation if deemed a close contact before departure
7. Also covers if you are deemed a close contact while on your trip
8. $2,100 per insured person for quaratine. Additional travel costs up to $1,000 to return to Australia.
4 Likes

I re-checked Cover-More and for Cancellation & Amendment only “Up to $5,000 per policy if Amendment and Cancellation Cover is included in your policy”.

Not - 3. Cover provided up to amount chosen when you buy the policy.

i’m guessing the same for all Zurich policies.

4 Likes

Thanks for picking this up @Geoft8888. The Zurich policies have gone and updated their PDS again. It’s back to the drawing board (table) for us.

3 Likes

I have looked through most of the policies pretty carefully and have concluded that the Go Insurance (Plus and Elite) are the best in terms of providing decent cover for Cancellation.

3 Likes

I am currently assessing travel insurance policies, some are straightforwardly expensive. But there is far more to consider than just price and package.

So far the worst has been RACT, which is plain weird. The basic, intermediate and comprehensive policies on their website appeared great, clearly stating what is covered. But I needed to ask a question - RACT can’t answer any questions as they “are not responsible” for the policy which their website is promoting. The website gave no indication of it being anything but an RACT-endorsed product. They are actually denying responsibility for something they are endorsing. It is from Tokio, so possibly the same as on RACV.

The alternative on offer [and available through RACT offices] is from MIB. Their policy “does not recognise a motor bike as a vehicle”. For a vehicle insurance company to support and sell this policy is unbelievable. I would like to know what else a motorbike is, if it is a registered bike being driven by a licensed driver on a legal road. And of course many travellers wish to use one, not only in Indonesia where I plan to go.
It all makes me question RACT’s ethics - a company I have always had faith in, and used extensively.

1 Like

You may find that is the norm rather than an exception. They ‘endorse’, eg sell, the policies, but the underwriter is responsible and is the only company that can usually authoritatively answer policy questions beyond the most obvious on the brochures.

It seems almost every organisation and business is selling insurance and has an online marketplace. It has become ridiculous. As an aside, my experience with RACV has reflected your own in that their ‘sales agents’, which is all they have become, know nothing about much of anything except taking orders and can waste lots of members time or completely ignore anything they cannot or do not wish to reply to. They (RACV ‘sales agents’ ) could not even answer a question about batteries they sell! A sign of our time :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh sure - but RACT also couldn’t give me any contact details for Tokio. So an amazing lack of responsibility & care. However, I have finally found a company that does respond, answer questions, provide emergency details, and cover for motorbike. Should be up up and away in 2 months. :slight_smile:

From the PDS it indicates this contact is for ‘general information’ not ‘specific questions’ but are these not those who can answer policy questions?

For general information You may contact Us or TMMA by:
Phone: (02) 8055 1673
Email: ractservice@tmnfatravelinsurance.com.au
Mail: GPO Box 4616, SYDNEY NSW 2001.

Regardless it does seem pretty ordinary.

There are quite a few insurance companies out there, but the 4 I knew of have policies that a inadequate or restrictive. Very bad if RACV staff don’t know their own product. It may be a sign of the times, but not one we have to put up with. I am glad I persisted, anyway.

Feel free to mention the company name here @mudpuppy, it might help some other people in their journey to find decent travel insurance.

2 Likes

It’s TravelInsuranz.com.au - I like it bieng Australian, and they responded quickly when I needed to change my travel date. Hoping that as usual, I don’t need to find out about reponse to a claim! Excited to be leaving at last.

1 Like

Good to hear. They appear to only cover international travel or Australian Cruise trips?

Domestic travel generally looks very limited in what is covered for Covid and varies by insurer. Despite Covid Normal, it’s different and worse than simply getting the flu while travelling. There are still isolation requirements under health directives for the infected and close contacts. The requirements for the latter vary depending ……!

EG

The first point to note is how ‘cannot recover in any other way’ is to be interpreted. Does that exclude claims where the provider offers a credit? A credit may seem fair, but it’s not always convenient for another time. It is also possible that the original booking is part of a special deal, and may not be available with the same benefits or extended length of stay in the near future?

A second is a condition of ‘pre-payment’. It’s not uncommon for domestic bookings to need to pre-pay, however there are no-show or cancellation costs applied if one cannot use the booking?

Noted that there have been prior comments re the policies offered by other Automobile Clubs, under writer

Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co Ltd (ABN [80 000 438 291](tel:80 000 438 291) AFSL 246 548) is the issuer of RACQ Travel Insurance.

Depending on one’s travel and higher probability of either one of a couple catching Covid-19 during an extended domestic trip 3+ weeks, the $3500 limit pp may or may not be adequate, considering the ripple effects on subsequent travel.

Yes, we are all in this together. Although those travelling look to still face added financial burdens or issues when it happens.

Community wisdom on the best strategy welcome.

1 Like

That’s a good question @mark_m. Travel insurers will require you to do whatever you can to get your money back from providers before claiming. And while a credit is clearly not a sufficient outcome in many circumstances, some travel insurers will still try to push you, or decline your claim because you were offered a credit. If this happens to you, we suggest you push back, raise a complaint with the insurer, and escalate the complaint to AFCA if they don’t resolve your situation satisfactorily.

4 Likes

I’ve avoided domestic and international travel because of this! Still have yet to get infected with Covid but if I did, I’d rather it be in the comfort of my own home versus at some remote location/hotel :slight_smile:

1 Like