COVID-19 Travel Insurance (post from 2020 Feb to 2022 Nov)

Welcome to the community @brad1,

A family member was coming to visit from the USA. After the global travel restrictions Allianz (USA) independently sent emails to every customer with travel policies in April-May offering new dates or refunds, no charges levied. Since there was no guarantee of when things would re-open ‘we’ took the refund option and the full amount was refunded to the card in 2 weeks. That policy was purchased direct, not through an agent.

Whether your policy via Webjet will be treated similarly is an open question, but Webjet’s failure to respond should not be tolerated. I presume you have already lodged a formal complaint? They do not make finding a contact for that easy. You could send a tracked letter to them at Level 2, 509 St Kilda Road, Melbourne VIC 3004, or try this general email, onlinetravel@webjet.com.au, are the best I could find to initiate that. Webjet shunts problems to their 'change my booking’ form, another option you can check.

You could also try the ‘Message us’ chat (?) link on their support page. Other places to try getting attention are their facebook page, twitter, or instagram services. They are busy cancelling / rebooking / etc but 5 weeks in a black hole is still very bad form.

While possibly not explicitly germane you might send a formal letter of complaint to Webjet (as the retailer) using the ACCC letter of complaint tool with a specified date for response to the contacts I provided above.

They are not making it easy. Be sure to get an acknowledgement they received your ‘letter’.

Additional resources include the Australian Federation of Travel Agents (Refund page) remembering they are an industry promotion organisation, not a consumer protection organisation although it is not obvious if they are a member, although they show IATA.org accreditation, a different ‘mob’.

Also check the topic about COVID-19 Pre-paid travel issues where you might find other helpful information.

Plz let us know what you do and how you go as it could be helpful for others in the same situation.

3 Likes