Covid-19 Shopping: physical separation and safety issues

Tomatoes are canned in southern Italy which at the moment is not having the outbreaks as in Northern Italy
which is in lockdown.
Anyone coming to Au will be quarantined… wait, not every one: the Ferrari F1 team will not be quarantined, most of them are already here, the rest soon to arrive.:thinking::thinking:

PS there’s over 150 of them.

4 Likes

There’s Aussie Admona as well as Aussie fresh. If not, like in the old old days we simply cooked with what was in season. I’m sure there are plenty of options and great recipes out there in the Choice Community that don’t need tomatoes. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m sure there are. At the moment I’m more concerned about the hundred and fifty Ferrari team from the most ‘infected’ place outside of China, being a stone throw from where I live. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

All the F1 teams have spent the last weeks of February in Barcelona doing their pre-season testing. It might be they are less of a risk than we imagine.

2 Likes

The question seems to have gotten around with a more detailed answer, at least for parts of the world. Alternatives are common, effective, and cultural.

Humour accepted.

3 Likes

So many interesting alternatives in that
link @PhilT

Actually, we could use any paper, wipes, or old cloths, as long as we don’t
flush it down the toilet :wink:

I’ve been in public toilets in countries where although there’s a flushing toilet, notices on the inside door ask that toilet paper be thrown into the bucket provided next to the bowl.

2 Likes

The most succinct advice I have seen.

7 Likes

Seein’ as how you asked:

2 Likes

I went to Coles again today to try to get the items which were out of stock yesterday to no avail and the toilet paper aisle was still completely empty.

However, to my utter amazement, there was a pallet stacked with Kleenex 9 roll toilet paper packs in the fresh produce section priced at $8 a pack.

No. I did not but my quota of 1 pack as they are on special tomorrow for half price.

3 Likes

They have a special price but all you get is a rain cheque :rofl:

6 Likes

I have to disagree with this. Manufacturers are NOT ‘cashing in’ at all. They are just trying to keep up with the stupidity of those grabbing way more than they need even in a month long quarrantine.

There is no shortage of TP at all. There is a storgae issue given that packs of tiolet rolls are bulky and take up a lot of room both on a shelf and in a store room. Consider this: if a supermarket can display say 100 packs on the shelf and have another ‘out back’ that is usually enough to keep shelves stocked between deliveries. Now say 25 people rush in and grab the four packs that was the original limit and the shelf is now empty. So the supermarket restocks from ‘out back’ and the next 25 people clear that out too. nothing to do now but wait for the next truck delivery. So people then move on to other paper products which are equally bulky room guzzlers.

In all supermarkets near me, apart from TP, there was no kitchen towels, tissues, or even paper serviettes! I hope the plumbers are waiting plungers in hand!!!
Then of course there is the new found desire for all things pasta and rice. Strangely you could still buy the sauce!

If this run on goods had been for say toothbrushes, no-one would have even noticed.

And panic breeds panic. Thank you social media! And hysterical mainstream media.

2 Likes

I don’t understand this new directive of sneezing/coughing into your elbow, or doing same into a tissue and disposing of the tissue. What do you do with the sleeve?

2 Likes

Safest place to put it to avoid fights. No-one is shopping in fresh produce, they are too fixated on the packaged stuff! :wink:

3 Likes

They can. At the moment you just need to plan ahead a bit more because delivery times have blown out.

And there is always Uber Eats!

3 Likes

The virus is spread from body excretions, principally from the nose and mouth…in tge firm of droplets when sneezing and coughing. Placing ones nose/mouth in ones elbow when sneezing reduces the emanation of droplets. If one is wearing long sleaves, the reduction is greater. The contamination stays on the elbow and unlikely to spread further.

It is also better than using ones hands as droplets would be on ones hands after sneezing/coughing, making spreading faster as one would contaminate every surface touched, allowing uninfected others to gain contaminated hands when touching the same surface soon afterwards.

3 Likes

In the early days of the British settlement in Australia when the colony was facing starvation, Arthur Phillip used to have a foot note on the dinner invitations to his officers. “BYOB” which meant “Bring Your Own Bread”.

In more modern times. it was adopted as a foot note on private invitations as meaning “Bring Your Own Booze”.

Perhaps it will very shortly mean “Bring Your Own Bogroll”.

1 Like

Well it’s a question of definition. They are ramping up production to ensure that their section of the shelving is not bare so that they then lose market share to competitors. I would say this is to make a profit. That fits my definition of ‘cashing in’. I don’t think that taking a market opportunity to make profit is necessarily doing anything improper but it does improve the cash flow. If you think it is because they are fine corporate citizens who have nothing else in mind but Australia’s hygiene I have to admit it is a possibility. :grinning:

3 Likes

An article regarding some grub that stole the bottle of hand sanitizer a cafe owner provided for customers to use.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/health/coronavirus-cafe-owner-takes-a-swipe-at-despicable-person-who-stole-their-hand-sanitiser/news-story/09950560396894557ed3c65d563314a5

I would not be surprised if grubs are actually stealing the toilet rolls from public, hotel and restaurant toilets.

1 Like

They are. There have been a few media reports. And facebook posts.

2 Likes

Stealing TP from Airbnbs too, as my brother recently discovered when the spare 4 rolls disappeared with the guests.

4 Likes