Covid-19 Shopping: physical separation and safety issues

Same & Who gives a crap are out of stock.

Sounds as bad as a Tersorium! :joy:

Except we have a high level of protection from the flu in the community due to immunisation and
previous exposure. In comparison we have zero immune protection to contain the spread of COVID-19.

I’m not in panic mode nor racing to stock up with a years supply of anything. However our 92 year old mum and her friends and staff in the local nursing home have much to consider. Most will have their flu shots up to date, but that is little consolation.

Last years flu season as at Aug 2019.

430 fatalities from 217,000 reported instances and the flu season was not over in August.

It would be great if that is the level of risk.

3 Likes

From a communication from our financial advisor the other day.

“While the coronavirus is being taken very seriously by government authorities, so far the virus has led to around 3,000 deaths. To keep this in perspective, it is worth noting a 2017 World Health Organisation study attributed between 300,000 and 650,000 deaths per annum from the annual influenza virus.”

And if anyone actually wants to see what panic buying stripping supermarket shelves bare actually looks like, then visit coastal towns in Northern Australia when a cyclone warning is announced.

2 Likes

It may have been discussed and I missed it but is there any suggestions for alternate hand and / or surface sanitisers giving that is already in non existent supply and is recommended as a mitigating strategy?
Maybe it’s own thread?

1 Like

Over a lifetime, most will have been exposed to and been infected with a coronavirus. What is new is the COVID-19 strain. Such seems to be ignored in the media.

There was an article recently that it was thought that elderley had a different reaction to the young as they may have had antibodies from a previous coronavirus infection
the new infection causing a overreaction of the immune system leading to complications
in effect the the immune system attacking the body. I also read contradictory report about the immune response in frail elderly and weak
seems to be speculation with further research required.

3 Likes

Re the ridiculous panic buying of TP, I saw someone with 3 or 4 huge packs in a trolley on TV, is diarrhoea one of the symptoms of COVID-19, or do these people normally use a roll or 2 per day?

Then there was a psychologist suggesting something along the lines of it’s how people gain a sense of control in a time of uncertainty.
I must admit to never having had a thought that owning masses of TP gave me a sense of control!

3 Likes

except the ABC, the article describes some, including that the common cold is caused by a coronavirus.

3 Likes

In some
from the WHO FAQs

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. About 2% of people with the disease have died. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.

We dropped into our local Woollies and most of the toilet paper aisle was vacant. There were some 8 pack recycled toilet paper, a 18 pack store brand and a 36 bulk pack. It seemed like most shoppers were buying toilet paper
some had up to three 36 packs
must come from an enormoud family.

The tin food, pet food, longlife milk, bread etc aisles looked like the shelves had been rummaged and depleted stock.

Just hope the bulk buying items are used and don’t become waste.

On another point is an animal’s immune system is one of the marvels of the natural world. A body comes into contact with new foreign items all the time whether consumed, breathed or through skin penetration/breaks. The immune system responds to these new potential threats and provides protection. If the immune system didn’t exist, the human race wouldn’t exist.

4 Likes

Make your own hand sanitizer:

The ingredients:
2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol.
1/3 cup aloe vera gel.
8-10 drops essential oil, optional (such as lavender, vanilla, peppermint, grapefruit)
Bowl and spoon.
Funnel.
Recycled liquid soap or hand sanitizer bottle.

https://www.foxnews.com â€ș health

This might help, @Geoff2 ?

2 Likes

Alternative just normal good hygiene routines. Normal soap/detergent and water do just fine if done halfway decently.

I guarantee those folk with all the extra bog rolls in trolleys if you asked them the last time they washed their hands and if they have any idea how to do it properly they would struggle!

Soap and water scrub for minimum of 20 seconds. probably 4-6 times a day (3 meals and 2-3 other interactions).

Tissues, handkerchief or elbow. Don’t touch your face with your hands, don’t shake hands.

surgical masks are only to help lower the risk of you infecting others.
P2/N95 masks are if you have to deal with others that are infected. If folk are stockpiling those shame on them as its the health professionals and the like that need them far more than your average Joe/Jane.

try and accumulate an extra scripts worth of essential medication.
Water is likely to be running as would the power/gas.

If you go shopping pick up one or two extra non-perishables but don’t go crazy (I am not sure what folk think paracetamol is going to do for them :confused:?

7 Likes

Proper handwashing with soap and hot water, clean down your benches with spray’n’wipe or whatever
 if I run out, i just use diswashing liquid in hot water. It works just as well. Getting paranoid about germs carries its own risks. We all build up immunity over time, to various bugs, and keeping ourselves and our environment so clean that bugs cant survive in it, leaves us more vulnerable when a nasty bug does come along.

I have to go pick up a supply of insulin today, but that was needed anyway
 I was getting to the end of the current supply. So no choice, I have to get out and about so I guess I’ll see if Coles has any dunny paper, and maybe some cans of baked beans. I like baked beans, but my pancreas doesnt.

4 Likes

Devastating news this morning, a semi trailer loaded with toilet paper has caught fire in Brisbane, half the load was burnt! :scream:

I’ve heard from my wife who is currently at Nelson Bay, near Newcastle, that people have been driving up from Sydney looking for TP, not that it would have done them much good, as the shelves have been stripped of TP there too!

2 Likes

An article about the fire.

Perhaps there will be a fire sale.

2 Likes

Hysteria fanned by the media. The herd mentality at its finest?

A report describes the supply chain and how the groceries use just-in-time deliveries. Since TP is bulky but not exceptionally high profit they limit stocks to the forecast demand. If everyone buys 2 instead of 1 it breaks the forecast and the shelves will go empty until the next delivery. It is not just from warehouses to the shop, it is also from the factories to the warehouses so there is some delay in getting the supply chain ‘up to speed.’ There is no shortage just delivery glitches, all while domestic manufacturing continues in SA.

5 Likes

I’m really really ticked off. Went to the supermarket as I should have two days ago and there is NO toilet paper (they ran out yesterday morning). Not in my local Coles, nor Aldi, nor the chemist I go to for my meds (they sold out yesterday, 36 boxes of it). Nobody knows when they will get more and I am down to my last two rolls.

All I could think as I was driving home was what a pack of selfish pricks we have in this country.

6 Likes

Why are people stockpiling toilet paper? We asked four experts

Ask four ‘experts’ get four different answers. I realise these are quick OTTOMH replies but it does lead one to ask how many freshly minted PhDs should be fired at this wicked problem for their first foray into post-doc work. Should they get government funding?

Tomorrow there will be a guest appearance from a statistician who will analyse the results and declare the trends. Photographs of shelving and shopping trolleys from social media will be processed using AI running on a supercomputer. On Monday a druid will examine the entrails of a (free range) chicken.

The Conversation is so earnest sometimes.

2 Likes

This morning, Woolworths in Acland street StKilda was also depleted of boxes of tissues, long life milk and milk
powder, and hand sanitiser.

1 Like

At some point everything will catch up, demand will flatten, and we might have some really great sales on offer to clear the stock :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Perhaps some will be in for a rude shock when their credit card bills arrive.

And have insult added to injury when they see the packs that they paid full price for on special for half price.

We have enought as I always buy them when on special for half price. Kleenex 9 packs at $4 each.

3 Likes