COVID-19 Price gouging &/or Large price increases

We have bought >70% alcohol sanitiser for $1 per bottle in the past (12 months ago for traveling) from ‘cheap’ shops. Even $3 could be considered expensive.

3 Likes

I would not be too concerned about it.

It is a drop in the ocean in comparison to the disgusting price gouging that has been occuring and I seriously doubt Coles want their name added to the “Wall Of Shame” when this pandemic is finally over.

Coles management is not always the sharpest tool in the shed and they may have been supplying whatever they can source at inflated prices,

Our local Coles still had no liquid soap, sanitized hand wipes ot hand sanitizer today despite having reasonable stocks of toilet rolls, paper towels and tissues.

I paid $2.99 each fot 2 x 50ml bottles of hand sanitizer a couple of days ago at our local Chemist Warehouse but did not see any when I was there today.

2 Likes

Cheapest I have seen is from Dick Smith Online at around $50 per Liter of 75% alcohol.
I would probably buy it if it wasn’t for the fact they do not ship it for 2-3 weeks.
It also often takes a week for the post office to deliver so we are talking up to a month.
There is very little of it available around here at all.
Fortunately most supermarkets have it at the entry or exit.

2 Likes

Our local Woollies has restocked and it was $2 for 50ml bottle. They also had larger 150ml bottles as well.

4 Likes

Our little “supermarket” (well you could fit it in a house) has taken packaged pasta off the shelves. As of last week (I go once a fortnight for milk & bread) all pasta and rice are in unmarked plastic freezer bags marked $3.50 with no other information. Looking at Colesworth pasta pricing of $1.60 to $5.30 per kg, that makes these bags about 6 to 10 times their prices. I doubt people are rushing 30km from a town with the Big 3 to snap up overpriced goods from them, so it is the elderly who can’t travel who are paying it.

2 Likes

Legal?

Trade measurement,

and product requirements,

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/industry/labelling/pages/default.aspx

For Qld - Office of Fair Trading for clarification and making a consumer complaint. Although when you are in a rural environment and there is only one nearby local place to shop?

2 Likes

How the worm turns … went to our little town to shop. They now have stock at or near Use-By and selling cheap. Half price or less. Lots of lines - yoghurt, cheese, bread, etc. Probably caused by people by-passing their overpriced stock.

Called into the butcher, grabbed a vac pack of sliced roast meat (use-by today - half price) when the butcher then offered me 10 more - free, including the one I was about to pay for. Into the freezer they went.

2 Likes

Have just been looking at Choice rice cooker reviews and note that it was last updated on 1 May 2020. Was interested in the Panasonic models which Choice has priced at:

SR-DF 181WST $109
SR-DF 101WST $89

When I check the Panasonic Australia website it lists them as:

SR-DF 181WST $179
SR-DF 101WST $149

They can be bought for less by shopping around but I did not see any priced as low as the Choice prices.

3 Likes

Hi @john.j0hnshie1d1

I have moved your post to another thread which highlights large increases in prices for products during COVID-19.

It’s great that you checked pricing before buying.

When Choice does reviews, they publish the RRP as they are at the time of compiling the article, which can be some months before publication. Obviously, the price was incresead by Panasonic since the information was obtained by Choice; possilby due to supply and demand issues related to COVID-19.

2 Likes

Had to go to Toby’s vet yesterday to pick up a bag of Science Diet Vet Essentials. It seems to work for him and it was much cheaper than the other varieties… “was” being the operative word. The price went up by $6 since the pandemic began. They said it was “the company” who raised the price but I dont know if that was Hills or the local distributor. I do know that its now only about $1.50 cheaper than the other SD varieties, but given that I have a half hour drive to get it, I’ll probably just get the slightly more expensive SD adult varieties closer to home.

Our little supermarket is still selling $3.50 bagged pasta & flour, as of today 15 June 2020. I thought the panic buying was over?

That’s one expensive watermelon.

(image supplied via social media)

1 Like

Ouch on the wallet.

I remember as a child watermelon being 9c/kg…and more recently being in the order of 30-50c/kg. A $29.75 watermelon must be huge and maybe one needs to buy online as it won’t fit in the boot.

2 Likes

And Coles isn’t much cheaper

I remember it being threepence a pound.

Much cheaper to just eat cherries.

2 Likes