COVID-19 Prepaid Airline, Accomodation & Tour Refunds, Rebookings

Welcome to the Community @Bernie

I moved your query into this existing topic because your problem is sadly common, and advice/information is already posted here.

2 Likes

Do you know of anyone who got a refund from Inspiring Vacations and if so how did they get it?

Searching this topic for Inspiring Vacations, prior to your post, yields

Unfortunately there is no specific outcome you can reference. The link I posted to the ACCC and Choice in post 59 may be helpful. If you are using a PC browser you can quickly go to posts using the scroll bar in the window (on the right side showing post numbers and dates) not the one for the browser.

You may have to rely on their T&C enumerated at
https://www.inspiringvacations.com/au/page/terms-and-conditions

While you may or may not get an acceptable resolution, keep everything in writing (eg email) and log and note all phone calls including who you spoke with and the substance to get the best outcome you are able.

1 Like

Sorry. I have no idea.

Jetstat are doing the same thing by giving out Vouchers that will probably expire before one can use them. My son paid nearly $600 to fly last July when he was going to visit me by shouting me a trip to Cairns for my significant birthday. H could not fly into Australia at that time because of Covid. It is Jetstars general rule not to give refunds under certain tickets. However when Covid hit it became a special rule that Company’s rules should not apply to under these circumstances. No one knows when international flights will resume again and they did extend the expiry date of his Voucher. but not long enough to cover international flight restrictions. I wrote to Jetstar an Fair Trading but apparently they cannot do anything about it even though Fair Trading are supposed to be the contact for something like this. We have been told to go to Access Law, however they will not take any notice of me. My son has to phone them from his country which is very difficult considering the time differences and he works full time. A family cannot afford to let this go as $600 dollars with two children is too much to lose. Does anyone have any other suggestions. The government handed many millions over to Jetstar to cover them. Their company policy should not apply for special circumstances like Covid.

1 Like

Hi @hmpk12, I merged your query into this existing topic where many have ‘travelled’ before you trying to get refunds. If you scan the topic it has become fairly exhaustive regarding your options and how to pursue them. Unfortunately it is a long topic with numerous variations of similar issues, with ACCC and Choice advices linked in as well as some reports from members who were successful in refunds.

It might be helpful to know that, device dependent on exactly how, using the Community forum scroll instead of the browsers scroll is much better to navigate through these long topics. On a PC browser it shows as
on the right side.

Please post back with how you go.

2 Likes

My daughter booked flights from Albury to Brisbane via Sydney with Virgin prior to them going into administration. She then had to cancel due to corona virus shutdown and received a credit. All ok at this point. The rescheduled flight also had to be cancelled due again to corona virus and again a credit was offered. BUT … then Virgin ceased operating from Albury to Sydney. So to make use of the credit it would mean getting to Melbourne- either a three hour drive to then put the car into a long term park or purchasing a flight to Melbourne with another provider - both extra cost.
Virgin have refused a refund even though travel to and from Albury with Virgin is no longer available as they no longer service this route.
Any help with this will be appreciated.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Alburyite

Sorry to hear of your issue. I have moved your post into this topic that has been going for the last 12 months about these issues. You will find lots of similar tales reading through this topic and hopefully some hints about steps you may be able to take. I’m also sure CHOICE will be interested in the continuing problems people are experiencing.

2 Likes

You may find that Virgin has or will convert the value of the original booking to a ‘travel bank’ credit. The cash value can be used towards any flight booking. This option existed prior to Covid, depending on …

This may not be exactly as you would like, or convenient. I’d also find such an arrangement unsuitable especially if I was unable to use the credit in the available 12 month window. Hopefully there is some useful advice in the prior posts.

3 Likes

Yes the credit is able to be applied to any Virgin flight in the future. The issue is that Virgin no longer fly from Albury, so additional expense must be incurred to travel to a location which Virgin services to be able to make use of the credit. That additional cost is quite considerable.
This is not like other situations where the flight was cancelled due to COVID-19, it’s that Virgin cancelled the service out of Albury.

3 Likes

Your problem is indeed different. After reviewing the T&C on your booking I recommend you frame a ‘letter of complaint’ citing what you purchased and Virgin’s inability to deliver it after their change of scheduling, and go for a refund. Send it to Virgin’s complaints and cc the ACCC and Consumer Affairs Victoria, and although they will almost assuredly not do anything to assist it gets on their ‘list’.

As a last option you may have to consider buying a ticket on Qantas or Rex to Sydney (or Melbourne?) and then use the Virgin credit on to Brisbane, but I acknowledge the financial aspects of that are probably not attractive as the hop to Sydney may cost more than your ticket from ABX-BNE, so include that in your argument for refund.

If they continue to refuse consider asking for your fares’s worth of Velocity Points priced at $0.005 each ($100 = 20,000 pts and if successful, use them for a non-flight premium to have something for your dollars. Sometimes a refund is impossible for unknown reasons but an alternative is.

3 Likes

Hi @Alburyite, welcome to the community.

The Virgin Australia Guest Compensation Policy covers such scenarios, see section 3 in particular where is says…

If we need to change or cancel your flight prior to your travel date…

• If we cannot make suitable alternative arrangements, you may request a Travel Bank credit or a refund of the total price you paid for your impacted flight by contacting our Guest Contact Centre or your travel agent

I would be contacting Virgin Guest Contact Centre and advising them of this policy and the above specific wording to request a full refund of monies paid. As they cancelled the travel/flights and there is no practicable alternative arrangements with them, a refund should be made available.

The above assumes your daughter paid for the tickets and didn’t redeem Velocity points for the booked flight. If Velocity points were used, Virgin should refund the points to her account to use later.

4 Likes

Thanks for your suggestions. Hadn’t thought of the points alternative which has merit. Will write the letter of complaint first and see what happens.
Appreciate your input.

4 Likes

No points were used in this purchase.
Thanks for your response and suggestion - will contact virgin and quote the wording you’ve provided.

5 Likes

Hi Denise. I would be happy to help you. I’ll send you a private message now.

I heard a man over the TV offering to help people, through facebook, who had not received a refund from Jetstar, to get in touch with him. I looked in Facebook but could hot find any indication of who it was that would help. Can anyone help me please with a direct link.

See post 257 and other posts by @AdamG in this topic.

3 Likes

The problem continues…

5 Likes

My wife & I (retirees) booked a premium economy trip to Europe via Singapore & Turkey in January 2020 for travel on 1st May. Mainly to see my mother in her 90s. Previous travel plans in 2018 & 2019 had to be cancelled due operations. The flights were paid for in full on 16th January. Because of COVID the departure date was subsequently changed in March to 4th September. We paid overall $14,103.19 inc. holiday deposit and agents fees. All flights and tour were subsequently cancelled by the airlines (SIA & BA) and tour company. When we complained we were told the airfares were “non refundable”. All we have been offered are credits until the end of 2021. We are now unsure if we are going to be permitted to travel by the end of the year given Govt pronouncements. We have had already had to attend one Zoom funeral for my wife’s mother who passed away at the end of last year. We are totally distraught by the whole situation and don’t know where to turn to to get a refund as the agent seems unhelpful.

4 Likes

Hi @clubman,

I merged your topic into this existing one that is relevant.

Please peruse this topic as you are far from alone. You will find links to the ACCC, Choice advice, as well as member advice and comments. I trust it will be helpful.

3 Likes