COVID-19 and surviving isolation, a shutdown, and now opening up

Isolation can be hazardous, even for the brightest:

2 Likes

The reply from NSW Roads and Maritime Service.

Thank you for your query.

As inspection stations are an essential service, they will remain open for business. You will still be required to obtain a pink slip to renew your registration until further advised.

3 Likes

At least he didn’t turn into a chick magnet or develop a magnetic personality.

1 Like

These fine people do not seem to be having any worries. No wonder Sydney metro is our epicentre.

A news item I just viewed. An A Hole trying to sell some of his 5400 toilet paper rolls. I think he should donate them to charity and the needy, he should be banned from profiteering from his greed.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-adelaide-news-resident-hoards-5400-rolls-of-toilet-paper-solicits-supermarkets/b9ba60e8-8c09-4972-912d-1e9bf8645408

3 Likes

What a disgusting excuse for a human being. It should all be confiscated.

2 Likes

They can’t now be sold through online selling platforms and why he is approaching the supermarkets to try and get rid of them. If everyone doesn’t buy from him, then he will be stuck with them and will send a strong message to others who think it is a way to make a quick buck at everyone else’s expense.

I hope that the 5400 rolls significantly inconvenience him and he as to deal with the stockpile over the coming 10 years. Every time he goes to the throne, he will be reminded how foolish his endeavours have been. After 10 or so years, it should be long enough for him to get the message.

6 Likes

Wise to stay inside once enforcement arrives! maybe that was the plan all along … :wink:

3 Likes

Daleks are scarier than the police, and seeing this I would be reluctant to disobey. We could always start another conspiracy…

Maybe COVID-19 is an alien virus sent to earth to allow the daleks to take over. Sounds like something from Dr Who…

4 Likes

I think the Sontarans tried something similar with the Sontaran Strategem, ATMOS devices fitted to cars :wink:

3 Likes

2 Likes

A trip down memory lane for those working from home:

Unfortunately for some NSW has been the leader in the national infection rate. This is not an adverse reflection on NSW residents. More a consequence of Sydney being the preferred destination of the greatest number of OS arrivals into Australia. The cruise line industry might be the added sour cream, given how attractive the harbour is as a passenger destination.

Anyone who has visited a virus hotspot like Sydney will need to quarantine for 14 days upon returning home.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said her message to Queensland residents was “now is not the time to go into New South Wales”, and warned border controls could get even tougher.

The implication is that NSW and Sydney in particular has a higher potential to spark localised community infections. Hopefully NSW has a strategy in place to respond including a WA inspired local community lockdown/quarantine if needed.

Or maybe like the town I’m in - renamed to Hotel California :slight_smile: (Police checkpoints 24x7 on every road checking traffic in and out for valid paperwork and reason for travel, and ensuring the 14 day rule even for a trip to a national park for ‘exercise’ …). I know staying at home is a good idea, but is this best suited to the big smoke? in some places the population density rapidly diminishes to nothing when you leave the front door …

3 Likes

Just you and lots of police? Make sure the cuffs are sanitised before and after… :wink:

2 Likes

Probably, but where would any of us draw the line? It is always easier to see in hindsight. I also hope to understand some of the geography and social needs/issues of the more remote parts of Australia.

The concern around the big smoke is that too many seem to be bending the rules and not staying put. MP’s and Govt Ministers included. Very reliably but second hand enough comes to be passed on. I hear through family or friends every other day of very bad examples of non compliance.:rage:

I’ll not be surprised if there is further tightening. It will inflict more pain on the majority doing what is asked, because a select few choose not to. Although in your area nearly all options short of making the ‘dead centre’ literally have been implemented. :wink:

2 Likes

I think they just use pepper spray to sanitise - stops people touching their eyes also, or … :slight_smile: I don’t envy the police, stuck on the roadside during one of the worst fly seasons in years - they are all wearing fly nets and given they swarm at eyes, nose, ears and mouth one is led to wonder whether flies can transmit the virus … hmmm …

My understanding is the situation in the NT is under the control of the Chief Health Officer, including any police assistance he requires. - I’m not sure that is the same everywhere, seems hard to work out who is calling the shots.

3 Likes

Me too. Had a long conversation with a friend late last week and she told me her sister had not changed her behaviour at all. Still going and visiting friends… coffee and cake with X on Tuesdays, a drink on thursday evenings with Y and so on. Idiocy for someone in a high risk group, and visiting others who are also high risk. My friend gave her the rounds of the kitchen with the result that she extracted a promise from her sis to stay at home, and no, she cant go and visit Charlie in the unit just down from hers!! ARGHHHH.

2 Likes

For all those struggling to stay sane, here are a couple of coronavirus songs to cheer you up.

Videoconferencing can be hazardous.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/04/coronavirus-zoom-fatigue-is-taxing-the-brain-here-is-why-that-happens/