Cotton and Elastane women’s underpants a health risk?

Check out stores like Uniqlo @vivhalaska

Uniqlo stocks 100% Linen shirts and trousers, fine Merino wool sweaters and cardigans that look and feel like silk, and cotton T-shirts.
With underwear, you’ll have to dig a bit to find 100% cotton, probably because it bunches-up under the form-fitting look fashionable at the moment.

4 Likes

Yes I have bought their cotton T shirts but they shrunk so much they went into the rag bag. I did buy a long sleeved top that washes well and I’m still wearing it after 2 seasons. I can’t wear wool, it gives me a rash, thanks Gabi.

4 Likes

I sympathise with your wool problem,
@vivhalaska
I can’t wear wool because it makes me feel uncomfortably hot.

I recently bought a stretch cotton turtleneck from Uniqlo,
it’s 96% cotton and 4% elastane, $19.99.
I chose the stretch fabric because
usually turtlenecks just lose their shape and don’t stay-up :laughing:

3 Likes

I did not know that cotton combined with elastase loses it’s breathability! Thanks for this information.

1 Like

Organic Certified Hemp?

2 Likes

Most fabric mixes are tradeoffs, they use fibres to create breathability and absorbance and they use fibres to help retain shape and be more wrinkle free. So a mixed fibre fabric will still retain some or all of it’s breathability but will usually function better as a garment without losing shape so much and/or will stretch to accommodate the body in it and return to shape after use. What then usually matters is the ratio of natural or semi synthetic to synthetic"plastic" fibres. More “plastic” fibres (nylon, polyester and similar) used in the mix will make the fabric feel wetter when you sweat/perspire/glow (the old adage used here…horses sweat, men perspire and women glow) than if less “plastic” fibres are used. Some synthetic fabrics wick sweat away from the skin eg Elastane aka Spandex aka Lycra, some allow breathing (air flow) but repel water eg Gortex.

Elastane was invented in the 1950s and is polyurethane so a synthetic fabric but has some useful properties including it’s breathability, some wicking, and it’s stretch. Elastane has a mix of hard and soft sections/bands, the soft section is what allows the stretch, they can vary the amount of soft and hard to make elastane for different uses eg woolen knitted garments do not require much more stretch so a firmer shorter stretch elastane is often used to allow some stretch but keep the garment from losing shape after washing and use.

Elastane does wick (poorly) and is breathable (fairly good) but has fairly poor absorbancy so you may want or need a fibre such as cotton for it’s ability to “adsorb” water, so the more cotton or rayon or wool or silk or linen will make the garment look and feel different on your body than if purely elastane. A swimming suit however may be usefully made of elastane for it’s ability to stretch and not hold onto water. Some problems with elastane is that it has a high susceptibility to pill (those little furry balls of fabric that look untidy) or to bubble (gets those wavy features in it) or create ends when it separates from the other fabric making for unsightly fibres sticking out (usually caused by bad cutting of the design so overstretch of the elastane or the use of the wrong type of elastane) and finally it doesn’t like a lot of sun exposure.

https://awta.com.au/index.php/en/component/edocman/news/elastane-fact-sheet

4 Likes

Interesting article about breathability of mixed fibres.

‘The Best and Worst Fabrics for Sweaty
People’
Quote:
“I know cotton was previously said to be king when it came to breathability, but that rule goes out the window when it is combined with spandex “

5 Likes

The fabric is still 95% cotton. That 5% is elastane and exactly the problem.

3 Likes

Thanks Grahroll

3 Likes

I agree! Many years ago I bought Target underpants that do have a cotton lining but the lining on the legs are synthetic where I have found this part stretches too soon. Bonds do not have a cotton lining at all. Underpants should be regulated for health reasons.

7 Likes

You seems to be assuming that such garments are only worn for practical reasons like health and comfort. The trend may have been exaggerated in the last few decades but the idea that they are also fashion items goes back a good long way.

Should the regulation forbid lace and decoration on the grounds that such frippery harbours microbes and retain sweat and is not required for health? There could be complaints from some women who like to choose the colour, fabric and style of fashion items. The tension between fashion and women’s health goes back a very long way and historically there are plenty of worse examples. Anyone for whalebone corsets?

2 Likes

In this thread we have been looking at the fabrics used for making women’s underwear.

The type of fabric used in the crotch lining is particularly important: for health reasons it is essential that it be of breathable, absorbent, comfortable material, and cotton ticks all of the boxes. But, in the experience of the majority of posters, it isn’t easy to find 100% cotton panties. Most are mixed fibres.

A fibre like Elastane added to cotton makes panties fit better, gives a smoother look under form-fitting garments like activewear and so on, but it isn’t as breathable or absorbent. Maybe just making the gusset all cotton, whatever the rest might be, could be a solution?

4 Likes

I was only concerned with the gussett. All and any styles can be as fancy as you like.

6 Likes

I wasn’t expressing a personal preference for fashion design but hinting that regulation may not be the answer.

There is a tendency here, and in elsewhere, for those who see a problem to put a regulatory correction near (or at) the top of the list of remedies. I am not a libertarian who wants to eliminate all regulation as there certainly are situations that demand it. I don’t see that sweaty crotch is such a major public health issue that authorities need to intervene with new law. Maybe we ought to start with better education and see how that goes.

1 Like

As many of the above posters have indicated, they have the knowledge on ‘what’ to buy but find that it’s not easily available. If you are questioning the health risk of an unbreathable, non-absorbent, fabric in panties, please present proof of your belief. And I also hope others will feel free to debate the issue. There is a question mark after the Title of the topic, after all :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not at all, I have said nothing along those lines. I thought the view that natural fibres breathe better was a given for most people. My only question is if the problem is so serious it needs legislation to fix.

2 Likes

Please feel free to debate it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I love bamboo but it doesn’t seem to be that popular in stores. I bought some in Canada when my luggage was lost and have never been able to find anything the same as those. They are still in use, so comfortable and have retained their shape well.

3 Likes

Again as posted above it is unlikely to be Bamboo but more likely to be Rayon or similar fabric made from a Bamboo source so strictly speaking it isn’t Bamboo fabric nor is it retaining any Bamboo characteristics other than being a very fast growing source of cellulose used in Rayon production. It may be Bamboo fabric but this is very expensive and a very rare fabric.

4 Likes

Yes, agreed.

2 Likes