Consumer Manipulation - Are supermarkets retraining us to buy prepackaged?

CHOICE has done some research into this issue. Here’s what we found:

• Loose produce is more often cheaper than packaged produce – but not always

• Using unit prices to find the cheapest format could save you more than $1900 a year

• Imperfect fruit and veg is 37% cheaper than regular produce

You can read more about our research here:

5 Likes

And in the lifetime of this topic, REDcycle has collapsed - adding an extra consideration, and hopefully moving the choice a little in the direction of “loose produce”.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, loose means using a plastic bag provided by the store for each type of fruit & veg. I have lots at home where I reuse them, but they sometimes get ahead of me. I can bring my own, have made some from tulle or synthetic organza/chiffon, but that’s more plastic.

1 Like

Some people have bought more durable fruit and veg bags that are designed to be brought along and reused each time. (This is analogous to the change from one-off throw-away supermarket shopping bags to more durable, long-term reusable bags.)

2 Likes

I noticed as choice did in recent checking on how items are packaged. I have seen exactly the same. For example carrots onions lemons potatoes are all cheaper bagged rather than loose. I sometimes want an extra few greens or vegetables. Why should we pay more for this. I try to reuse the bags to put loose items in. Another thing is the confusion between actual cost per 100gm. Do we, all think it is harder or easier to over burden ourselves.

1 Like

We take our own homemade mesh bags. They do weigh a little more than the supermarket single use plastic bags (maybe around 10g), but when filled with fruits or veges, the additional weight is negligible.

2 Likes

Worth some deep consumer thought, Coles Market Town Newcastle store earlier this week.

Loose $2.50 per kg

Or packaged $1.00 per kg

The savings that come with a free plastic bag. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Indeed :thinking: :thinking:

And now, we have to receive our delivered shopping in BIG, heavy duty plastic bags which will take even longer to break down in landfill, or for which you have the privilege of paying 15c per bag, that you’ll never use again. (I have string bags, and other tote bags for in person shopping.). At least Woolies has paper bags which can be recycled. What a shame Redcycle has stopped taking the others.

I’ve been getting the irrits at Colesworths because its getting harder to buy single cans/trays/pouches of cat food. I used to buy just one or two of each new kind for his lordship, but now, you have to buy in quantities up to 12, and 24!! We can’t test new foods for him because buying a box of something new will most often result in him rejecting the food and then the rest has to be donated elsewhere. I just don’t do it anymore, cannot afford to be effectively sacrificing $10-12 a throw.

/end grumble

1 Like

We buy snap peas at Coles almost every week. They come loose and prepacked. The comparative prices vary regarding unit cost but the prepack ones are usually fresher than the loose ones. The tactile feel of those in the loose bin is obviously noticeably softer most weeks, such as one can discern through the plastic of the prepacks.

Speculation as to why would be inconclusive without data but the prepacks could move more quickly or they could be packed from selected fresher product or they are stored better or … so we usually buy the prepacks. Woolies only has prepacks for a much higher unit price and no discernable difference in quality.

We often see a bin of prepack veg cheaper than the loose ones because of short (or relatively short) use by dates. They could also be sale priced because of overstocking among other reasons. Marketing strategy can be entertaining.