Consumer data right - what are your thoughts?

What about allowing us to easily delete our personal data when a company no longer requires it?

In fact, I did this a few weeks ago, after a notification of a password breach at one of the many international websites for which I had some sort of account. I emailed/messaged about ten different websites with which I had accounts that I no longer used, and said “please delete me”. In one or two cases they asked me to prove who I was with more information, but in only one case did I receive no final confirmation of deletion - and that was a website that is run by someone in their spare time out of the back shed.

It appears that the GDPR is acquiring global reach on our behalf.

3 Likes

The Consumer Data Right rules have been released:

1 Like

What trusted 3rd parties do they mean?

1 Like

And whats an accredited data recipient… and how does it relate to our own information. And what rule is in place to prevent these 3rd parties from accessing our information any time they want, without our permission?

And why did the system remove my quote of @grahroll’s post? Bit rude.

1 Like

We cannot see your context, but this might be what you experienced. Discourse does not support an entire post being quoted. If you tried to quote @grahroll’s post above, eg ‘What … mean?’ in its entirety Discourse ignores it. OTOH if you copied and pasted the text it would have stayed.

Is that what might have happened?

1 Like

Yep, thats it, I quoted a whole sentence. Surely theres room in the settings to allow quotes below a certain size?

1 Like

It is not a whole sentence or numbers of words, it rejects it when you try to quote the entire content of a post.

1 Like

:P. I was being sarcastic. I know what you meant, I just happen to think when its one short sentence, tis ridiculous.

The proposed CDR offers consumers better access to our own data and is intended to enable moving to an alternate provider simpler. Will this lead to a more competitive environment or simply ensure any alternate offer is only 0.01% better?

Note:
There are Civil Penalty Provisions ref clauses 9.8.

There is a requirement for corrections to be made if there are errors in your Consumer Data.

There is no requirement to remedy or make good any consequential loss if there are errors or losses of data?

Which leaves consumers at the mercy of the civil court system when “almighty stuff ups” outside the control of the consumer come to light.

Cynically?
There is enough evidence being put to a Royal Commissions concerning consumers being taken advantage of. Unfortunately the recommendations of RC’s are rarely acted on as directed. Back to images of that cute little puppet ‘Sooty’ waving his magic wand and whispering secret messages in the handlers ear.

3 Likes

This is an open source website that is meant to teach people how to practice their Right of Access. Personal data requests usually result in a zip file containing multiple JSON and media files. This is an attempt to facilitate extraction and analysis of such zip files for the average user.

Reddit commentary - Reddit - Dive into anything
or direct link - https://dataforme.xyz/

1 Like

An interesting and helpful looking site @brisdaz. Thanks for sharing. I moved it to this topic on CDR as it might be relevant information for everyone interested in their data.

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

The dataforme looks interesting, but I couldn’t see that it does anything more with Facebook than instruct you how to download your own data. Am I missing something?

Does it do any analysis? If it doesn’t do analysis, why is JSON recommended over HTML, which is readable in a browser.

I haven’t personally used it but I believe it does.

Optional disconnect from the internet.

Go to step 3 and upload the archive file to the browser script. Or you can drag and drop.

1 Like

Has anyone besides me tried it?