Complete, full and thorough vacuum - quick poll

I think the more strokes the better!! Oh hang on, wrong discussion.

3 Likes

I completely disagree that the test does not need to be realistic. If, for argument’s sake, most people only use one pass of the vacuum cleaner head, then the one that will work best for them is the one that has picked up the most dirt on one pass. A vacuum cleaner that picks up 95% of the dirt on the first pass will be much better for them than others that might have picked up 95% of the dirt only after 4 passes. If you can pick up 95% of the dirt on the first pass the chances are you won’t get much more on subsequent passes.
Allowing multiple passes (especially 10!) is like saying I can bench press 500kg (but I have to do it 50kg at a time).

3 Likes

What you have written is true, but would you be happy to fund and design tests and reports that cover the number of variables for every individual’s uniqueness?

At some point pragmatism is necessary in the world of limited time and resource and a test that is a reasonable proxy is the outcome. The methodology Choice uses provides the weights to the quick and the thorough, and in the end it is useful guidance, whether or not perfect for each consumer.

edit: link added. Choice methodology is not realistic for how 100% of the population might vac, but it remains useful if one reads and understand the data and its limitations, and how the test is done and weighted is open information. FWIW and re your example, you may note the Choice weight favours fewer strokes. Specifically, cleaning performance (55%) (made up of quick carpet clean score 67% and complete carpet clean score 33%)

5 Likes

@MattSteen, a bit late but