Comparing Electricity Plans

Retailer performance is subjective. Does it mean billing accuracy, customer service, abiding by the state legislation, customer time on hold, email response time, whether they have an online chat, the ‘smiling face’ during the sales process, or something else like offering fixed rates for a period rather than variable ones? As an example many reviews on productreview for energy (and insurance) focus 100% on how easy it was to sign up, their rates or helpful sales agents - not much about claims experiences or anything else for some companies.

energy.compare.vic.gov.au for Victoria and www.energymadeeasy.gov.au for New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory are as good as it gets.

It is true rates can change and not all change at the same time, but it is predictable most change mid-year or early in the year, and the press calls out what is likely to happen. It is not ‘integrity’ it is their business model. One can sign up on Friday and the rates are changed n Monday if one is not paying attention to their last increase (and checking if they are predictable on the calendar), but one can still move on by cancelling a change or doing it again.

In Victoria prices can only change once per year by each retailer, with a caveat. Each state does its own thing.

3 Likes

Thanks for all that Phil. “Life is a gamble”, I will just take my chances with what I can find through Canstar.

1 Like