Colgate misleading Toothpaste Packaging

If anyone considers that they are getting short changed with toothpaste tubes, then they should take a look at deodorant sticks.

There is no way to use all the content as when it wears down to a certain level, the plastic band around the side of the contents starts to scrtach you and the band and remaining contents will separate from the screw and fall out.

This photo is for an “empty” one and the one I am currently using.

The white thing is the remaining unusable deodorant inside the plastic band with 4 radial plastic ribs in it.

It weighed 14gm on our 1mg resolution kitchen scales and the outer casing on both of the sticks stated “75ml” and the brown one also stated “75mg” so the 14mg left represents almost 20% of the total contents minus the plastic wrap.

As 75ml deodorant sticks cost upwards of $30 each, the value of the unusable product is much greater than the residual product in a toothpaste tube.

I will remove the unusable remaining product and advise the actual weight of the plastic surrounding it but I would expect that the waste is at least 10gm or 12.5%, so somewhere upwards of $3.75.

Whilst some may say that @Julian’s post may not have best fitted under Food & Drink, I reckon that mine would better fit under Scams.

4 Likes