Coles placing incorrect price signs

Incompetence comes at no extra charge at Coles.

1 Like

No surprise. It is deceiving. Another problem is no price labels at all for some items in the fruit and vegetables section. Is this a problem with staff not understanding the products and their names? Are Coles paying much attention to training their staff?

1 Like

Maybe they are just following Woolies lead? Our Woolies is far worse in that respect than our Coles.

1 Like

Our local Coles & Woolworths seem equally bad.

I was surprised when this happened in the USA a couple of years back, the checkout person told us we have the product for free according to their law.

Would help to have that here.

Consumers have a right to be informed. This is not right.

I second this. When I was at a checkout and saw an item go through wrongly priced I brought it to their attention.

The lady who went and checked the tag came back with the scrunched up price tag in hand and gave it to us at the correct price but how many other shoppers would have placed that item in their trolleys before the tag was removed and had not left the store?

If they mention it and a staffer checks and finds no special tag then the customer would be told they’re wrong and either has to pay the higher price or leave the item. That could end up with people shopping elsewhere and loss of business.

3 Likes

Not practical if you’re doing the large fortnightly shop and you’re busy unloading/packing/loading the trolley.

1 Like

How so? You have your bags of groceries in your trolley leaving the store. If you find an error you can have it dealt with at the service counter. Can you not? Everyone might not spot a price error on the docket while some will, especially those of us who make lists of the specials and prices we went for. The in-store specials? Might remember them or not when checking.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar problem with Coles. I receive a weekly email from flybys listing a range of specials. When I went to the store I have found the item said to be on special at its normal price and on checking with the store was told it was not on special.
I then complained to Coles by email and received their computer generated email saying they would respond in two days time. A week later after no response I sent a follow up email but it is now two weeks and still no response.
This has happened a number of times but this was the first time I complained. Doesn’t seem to bother Coles that they ignore their customers.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately Coles can ignore customer complaints. I am not sure how this helps them achieve their goals.

I suggest that you complain to the ACCC.

1 Like

This ten times over,
I regularly shop at Spudshed and becaues it’s a 24/7 supermarket, I tend to go late at night to avoid people as I don’t like crowds.
It’s pretty much 80% of the time that there is an error - never in my favour and I have to go back and correct them. I never blame the lady or gent at the check out, as it’s not their fault.
So as a rule - always ALWAYS sit in your car and go through the prices. I saved myself 6 dollars last time due to a mistake on their behalf.

2 Likes

Even better when the store complies with the ACCC Code of Practice for Computerised Checkout Systems in Supermarkets and you end up getting the incorrectly priced item for free.

I ended up getting 6 cans of chocolate and a pack of frozen lobster tails for the princely sum of $2.00 recently from our local Coles.

Here is the Choice article on scanning and pricing.

I could not find a list of signatories but if anyone else can, perhaps they can share it.

2 Likes

At our Woolies store we bought 4 items at a Special price only to find at docket check at home that they charged us the normal price. Two weeks later at our near regular shopping intervals to the big smoke we quieried this at the service counter and were told that it was a store error as the special price ended a day before our purchase but the price tags were not changed. They then ask if we would be happy with a total return credit for 2 items and then only charge 1/2 price for the other two. Naturally we were happy with that.

5 Likes