Coffee beans review

I’m not one, but there’s one in the family who is always welcome to come and stay. By observation and of the staff at the local I always know the coffee is going to be the best or just average, by who is at the controls.

I’ve added a quality grinder to the wish list.

2 Likes

Thanks, Bob. Fascinating stuff! A whole new world! The best coffee beans I’ve tried so far are Daley St medium dark roast but I check the date on them. Apparently, they are roasted exactly one year before their use by date. One thing’s for sure, I’ll never go back to instant or pods!

2 Likes

Too right! I wouldn’t be going back to anywhere that thinks beans are good for a year. OK, the caffein is probably still there but flavour, forget it.
Regarding instant, I’ve drunk it most of my younger life but can’t anymore. One cup and I get stabbing pains in the stomach. The caffein level is huge. I can drink three double espressos before that happens with well brewed arabica.

AHA!!! So thats why I don’t get palpitations from my one cup of Lavazza d’Oro every other day.

1 Like

This article from Healthline says that Instant coffee contains slightly less caffeine than regular coffee. It goes on to say that although there’s more of the Acrylamide, the amount is much lower than the harmful amount and should not cause concern.

Would beans that were roasted 3 weeks ago be okay?

It sounds like an article sponsored by the instant coffee lobby. It doesn’t explain the problem instant coffee causes me.
Read this Wikipedia article. It confirms my thoughts:
Healthline - Wikipedia

Oh yes, I would still drink it. However, it won’t be as pleasant as the first week and will progressively loose the subtle flavours that make it special. It doesn’t go off in the sense of milk going off, it just becomes little more than a caffein hit with all the flavour subtleties gone.
If you need to keep it longer freeze it, I mean like in a freezer. Don’t put it in the fridge. In the fridge, it takes on food flavours and moisture which will cause it to age quicker.

Which claim do you reject, that instant coffee has less caffeine (on average) or that it has more acrylamide but not a harmful amount?

How do you explain the problem and why would the article contain an explanation?

It says there is reason to believe Healthline is not entirely reliable. Rather than assume that if some of their articles are doubtful all are, I would concentrate on the known facts about the specific matter of instant versus brewed coffee.

Just on the caffeine content, the measures of caffeine in instant and brewed coffee both have such wide ranges that I think generalising that one type has more or less caffeine than the other is not a good idea. If you chose random examples of either type you could in fact be getting much more or much less caffeine in either one depending on your samples. Comparing averages is not useful in this situation.

Yep, that’s why!
I understand their d’Oro and iTerra are 100% arabica. Their other blends Espresso, Rossa and Crema e Gusto are an arabica/robusta blend.
Personally, I don’t like to buy coffee roasted overseas. You don’t know how long it’s been in transit and storage. However, Lavazza do a good job of packaging to keep it as fresh as it can be.

Thanks. I’ll try freezing them. Some of the beans in the supermarkets have use by dates of 3 or 4 weeks short of a year which means they were roasted 3 or 4 weeks ago. I’m really enjoying the Coles Daley St. beans that were half price for $17/kg.

2 Likes

That’s a steal. Where is Daley Street anyway?
My favourite at the moment is the Columbian Medellin Excelso from Witham’s in Hornsby NSW. At $45/kg free delivery but worth it in my book.
You need to be prepared to change coffee suppliers. I’m on my fourth. You get a good one that know their stuff and love coffee. They do well, sell out and the next guy just wants to cash in on the name.

2 Likes

Why not buy Aussie coffee beans? Apparently they offer a unique taste experience.

The biggest revelation for me is there is a science to describing the taste of coffee.

The coffee wheel. :wink:
(There’s a larger scale version in the article.)

I noticed locally roasted beans have tasting notes. The big Italian brands avoid such ‘trivialities’.

2 Likes

The coffee cultures of the Mediterranean have spent many centuries perfecting their styles and the art of never making a bad cup. Tasting notes not required. Sugar optional.

Are the rest of us compensating because

the possibility that the difficulty people have in naming smells and flavors could be a WEIRD (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic [24]) affair.

Do you dismiss more information is better? It is not as if every country and region in Europe has the same appreciation or standards of goodness.

I like a short description of the qualities as I would for a wine. Others might be less critical or have not been interested in variety?

Definitely not.
Reality may be that Aussies enjoy a far greater choice of roasted beans.

Perhaps I missed the (mark). :pensive:

1 Like

Melbourne is sometimes called the “coffee capital of the World”

1 Like

The Italian brands have woken up with lines reflecting our taste for local roasting as well as descriptive tasting texts. Just one of their new packaging/line. Their ‘perfected recipes’ might not be as sacred nor universal as some constitutions?

1 Like

The flat white that is served up these days is NOT the flat white many of us were drinking between the 60s and the 90s. Back then you could get either a cappucino or a flat white. A flat white was black coffee with milk added last. I bemoan the new “invention” because it isnt. Its just a variation on the cap. As is a latte. Please excuse my lack of coffee snobbery :innocent: :rofl:

1 Like