Climate change and the consumer - news

“at least, not on a timescale this side of the cosmological. On that count, you can rest easy.”

We should prepare for the sun to reach the end of its life and expand into a (smallish) red giant, where it will grow out to the orbit of Mars - aircon will be essential. After that is the Big Crunch, the contraction after the Big Bang runs it course. I shall build a titanium bunker and stock it with Tim Tams. They will be a big seller, The Donald will be spruiking them as part of his post-presidential speaking tour after his second term is over. This is only because his chutzpah is not quite sufficient to get the US constitution changed to make him president for ever.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Um!
It might take more than a constitutional change to overcome built in genetic obsolescence.
Although the Donald may have difficulty understanding such a simple rational reality.

Not on topic, although it is one way to see how climate change turns out.

2 Likes

Given the timescale, our concepts of “short” differ markedly.

Interesting assertions and assumptions. You imply that we “should” do nothing. For reference, “and” is a conjunction. There are things we can do and I reckon we should do some of them, therefore there are things we can and should do.

@draughtrider seems to be saying that there are things we can do to prevent the life of the sun ending. While I’d be interested in hearing the details, I feel there are things that we should do before humanity evolves into something else or goes extinct.

[edit]
Good? Bad?

I was, of course, joking - but do hope you are serious about the Tim Tams!

He’ll have a very good excuse for the orange hair by then …

Indeed, for reference, express or implied … :rofl:

1 Like

Where is the data? Did the article produce verified data to support this claim or did it just make it up? Are you happy to perpetuate this assertion without evidence?

I’d never considered the effects of contrails. What might be the consumer impacts of potentially-increased costs of flying? The chemtrail thing is relevant as an example of ways consumers can be misled.

And impacts on a small Welsh village. Is nothing similar possible in Australia?

[edit 1]
Apparently, that page displays differently depending on browser and settings. Here’s the Text that should accompany the video:

[edit 2]
If all else fails, replace [dot] with a dot:
www[dot]The UK’s first climate change refugees? - BBC News
[edit 3]
Or try this link. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

More than just climate change, but undeniable consumer impacts. The idea is for Tasmania to export energy. ARENA has proposed something similar for the entire nation.

[edit]
I’m no psychologist, but consumers are undeniably being manipulated. This might be worth a look.

An article regarding increasing damage risks due to climate change.

1 Like

How consumers can take action on climate change:

5 Likes

Good one from Choice @BrendanMays :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

The included graphs of emissions by sector are very effective at communicating what is really happening with emissions.

They also help in understanding the potential for certain strategies to decrease emissions.
EG Rigid and Articulated Road Transport contribute many times the emissions of rail.
And for cars, (taxis, business use, private etc), we can all see for ourselves the relative impact.

Hope there is more to come.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @mark_m, I’m sure there will be :+1:

2 Likes

How to mess up our assumptions. I think I hear the sound of fertiliser impacting a ventilator.

1 Like

A narrow, short-term focus will lead to broader, longer-term consumer impacts.
https://reneweconomy.com.au/nsw-committee-rejects-move-to-protect-coal-mines-from-downstream-emissions-70545/

If we ignore it, then maybe it will go away (or we’ll be repeatedly blindsided, with unpredictable consumer impacts).

Poor science supports poor decision-making, leading to poor consumer outcomes. Or maybe it’s all part of the conspiracy :wink:.

But it’s not all gloom and doom:

[edit]
And now for something political:

1 Like

Yes, it’s easy to see why!

And the answer is? China!
We’re the little dark blue bit if it is not so obvious.
Of course to be greener Australia buys most of it’s tech from manufacturers in China. We also export a large portion of our iron ore for steel making in coal powered blast furnaces to China.

It says much about the power of the world’s largest economies over our future. Indonesia and India are the other two big new producers of the coal powered future.

1 Like

Impacts on, observations and suggestions by First Nations Australians:

A little local knowledge might come in handy too for managing how we face the end of civilisation as we know it, aka the great Toilet Paper shortage? :rofl:

On this International Women’s Day, an article on the price women pay for speaking up. I’ve heard of First Nations people suffering similar treatment.

2 Likes

In case anyone’s still in denial:

[edit]
Even Murdoch media is in on the global conspiracy :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you CHOICE for providing easy to follow steps for all consumers to take some action. While some may label this as activism (a topic being debated on this very site), the clear scientific evidence is making it a required and ethical response to produce these guides. It has become a necessity and not as some may see as a “Greenie” viewpoint. Hurrah CHOICE!

7 Likes