Climate change and the consumer - news

I’m pretty sure he now known as SmoKo

5 Likes

The effects of the fires to our natural fauna in these areas is going to double down on their survival pressures. We lost a lot of Flora and Fauna. With adequate rains we should expect much of the Flora to regenerate but fauna will be deprived of many food sources for quite some time until regrowth occurs. Thus much of the fauna population not yet killed by actual fires will likely starve to death in the months after the fires have ceased destroying our bushland. Because the areas are so vast much of the fauna will be unable to move to areas of surviving bushland to use them as sanctuaries. I think this future destruction of surviving populations will be the functional if not actual extinction event for many species.

5 Likes

Another article that Australia is going to lease four (4) additional firefighting aircraft.

And just how much will four (4) firefighting aircraft be able to achieve?

The Government needs to wake up and lease and/or buy all available suitable aircraft whilst there is still some of Australia left to protect.

1 Like

Australian bushfires: Western Sydney the ‘hottest place on Earth’

Move along folks. Nothing to see here. The thermometer melted and the weather reporter is in the emergency department.

Climate change? Don’t you worry about that.

1 Like

In addition to all our native fauna and flora are the items which were specifically located in Australia as a safe refuge.

I recall reading some years ago that Kangaroo Island was the sole repository for genetically pure Italian Honey Bees, which are vital to agriculture, and was the last hope in the case of endemic problems such as the vario mite destroying them elsewhere…

1 Like

The following photo turned up in my facebook feed today and brought me to tears. Its representative of the thousands of animals who died in the flames, in agony, not knowing why…

Climate change made this possible.

3 Likes

And in today’s episode of “You Just Can’t Help Stupid”, the NSW RFS Commissioner reveals that the Federal Government has sat on a report regarding resourcing more firefighting aircraft for 18 months.

I expect that the costs of the damage caused by the fires will vastly outweigh any paltry savings the Government made by ignoring the report.

And the NSW RFS Commissioner finds out that the Federal Government has called up 3,000 Army Reserviststo help in the bushfire crisis on social media reports.

And an article regarding the document from the NSW RFS requesting more funding.

1 Like

Bush fires affect power transmission, leading to shortages. Parts of Sydney and the Central Coast suffer and blackouts:

Morrison published ad with cheery background music and button for donations to Liberal Party, extolling additional military resources for the fire emergency. Trouble is, the Fire Commissioner hadn’t been informed. Premier Gladys Berejicklian belatedly asserts that she was notified before the ad went to air (covering for Morrison?). The ad violates non-partisan conventions applying to the ADF.

1 Like

Not even the cherries are able to cope with the climate change.

1 Like

Julie Bishop calls for some real Federal Government action on climate change.

What a shame she was shafted for the leadership. We might have already had some real action instead of “doing our bit”.

ScoMo appears intent on political suicide with the continuing stupidity that the public are being subjected to.

And elsewhere, the likes of Sri and his ilk are open for business as usual whilst many thousands of others are putting their lives on the line or at least their money where their mouth is.

Without having read that report (I will in a minute) I seem to recall that Morrison refused to call out the ADF a couple of months ago, because the RFS “want to be there”.

3 Likes

But he’s doing his best to throw friends and allies under the bus first, so he has something soft to land on:

We haven’t even reached the time of year that’s traditionally most dangerous:

A couple of interesting tidbits:

• Apparently, smoke can interfere with radio signals. For things like radar and GPS, that bodes ill. An acquaintance looked around for paper maps in one tourist town, but couldn’t find anything except brochures which proved pretty useless.
  • Research shows that areas that have been logged and are regrowing are more fire-prone for a century or so. Previously logged areas that have become state or national parks are therefore more costly to keep safe than virgin country. Conservative governments have a history of skimping on the maintenance budgets.

The drought was already impacting prices and supplies before the fires. That will only get worse. My local Aldi has noticeable gaps in its shelf stocks (Aldi is notorious for screwing its suppliers, so it tends to run short before it’s competition which makes it a bit of a bellwhether).

1 Like

BBC YouTube videos about the current Bushfires in our Country. They don’t hold back much about the link to Climate Change policy and our politics:

2 Likes

An article regarding Professor Ross Garnaut’s predictions coming to pass.

At least he is modest enough to resist telling the Federal Government “I told you so”.

Meanwhile the Federal Government is testing their new EV vehicle, the ScoMobile.

It has been demonstrated to achieve Hero to Zero in under 8 months.

1 Like

EV = Emergency Vehicle?

The alternative meaning would violate party policy, would it not!

1 Like

Drought affects water availability. Bush fires affect water quality.

Evidence just keeps building:

And, in case you weren’t already depressed enough:

2 Likes

How to care for what survives.

[edit]
and more about smoke:

2 Likes

Yet the deniers are in full swing. She did have a dinner party to raise donations though. Aside from that, her spokesman made a statement:

… the billionaire does not want to “rush” to blame climate change for the devastation.

“(Mrs Rinehart) is most concerned that the true causes of this sad devastation are tackled, rather than missed in the rush to blame climate change,” the spokesman said in a statement seen by the Daily Mail.

“In particular, restrictions on building dams are lifted, the dangerous restrictions on allowing adequate fire breaks and restrictions on land clearing, which regulations have helped to cause life and stock losses, property damage, and damage to livelihoods and much suffering.”

A true Liberal in every way.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, elsewhere in WA, the State Government uses fire contributions to fund artwork at fire stations.

Very reminiscent of Nero fiddling whilst Rome burned.

1 Like