Climate change and the consumer - news

I haven’t heard any.

I don’t get the local Murdoch rag and I haven’t seen anything on the ABC News website.

2 Likes

Interesting thought: the impact of the Internet on climate change.

Lots more in the article linked from the one above.

The individual can do something- if they have a web page, host it on a server run by renewables, and run their own computers on renewables. Since I’ve had my own domain I’ve used Digital Pacific, chosen because they operated on renewable energy, and are based in Oz.

I understand Google, the source of many of the ads (most of which I don’t see due to ad blocking) are moving to renewable energy. I’m not sure running ad blockers reduces the amount of energy used by the purveyors of these unwanted ads though, as no doubt they continually try to send them.

2 Likes

Similar theme, different perspective:

and

Which raises questions about Android devices. As far as I know, they’re officially unsupported after 18 months.

Now the Nationals accept that there is a problem with climate change.

3 Likes

Like Morrison, McCormack’s very reluctantly, equivocally and with multiple attempts to divert or distract, talking some of the talk. Neither is walking the walk. What we need is for some early-teenager to tell them in national media to put up or get out of the way.

2 Likes

The Dutch Supreme Court has pronounced it’s verdict on emissions in the Netherlands:

" 20 December 2019, the supreme court of the Netherlands gave the final verdict:

The state must reduce its CO2 emissions by at least 25% by the end of 2020 compared to 1990. Doing less is a violation of the human rights of Dutch citizens."

Interestingly from the article I link below is this:

"One of the state’s main arguments was that the Dutch government could not solve global warming on its own so it couldn’t be held responsible.

The supreme court ruled on Friday that argument does not hold because every country is responsible for its contribution to the problem. Serious climate policy should certainly be expected from a rich country such as the Netherlands, which has a relatively high carbon footprint per inhabitant"

The Dutch Govt sounds an awful lot like ours about emissions.

3 Likes

An article regarding concerns that higher levels of CO2 can affect thinking.

It is obviously already occuring in Canberra.

2 Likes

Another article regarding the Prime Minister admitting that climate change is real.

Hopefully his statement “So we must take action on climate change. We are taking action on climate change.” does not merely mean more thoughts and prayers.

2 Likes

But it does mean more thoughts and prayers. Bobbie Houston (Wife of Hillsong Pastor) said this on Twitter:

“Oh AUSTRALIA. You thirst for rain! Please continue to pray for the heavens to open. Pray for reprieve. Pray for exhausted firefighters. Pray for those who have lost homes and loved ones. Pray for wisdom for leaders and govts (the world over). Genesis 8:22 NIV” I didn’t see take action other than praying in that Tweet.

4 Likes

The sting is in the tail - “ We are taking action on climate change “.

No admission that what we are doing is inadequate.
No offer to do more.

Why not?

The PM committed to meeting Australia’s Kyoto target and the Paris Agreement, and welcomed record investments" in renewable energy.

There is already disagreement publicly and in the international arena on whether Australia is delivering on it’s commitments from Paris 2015. That debate is never going to go away.

This report card on Australia’s performance placed us 53rd in a class of 58!

4 Likes

What is Bobbie trying to tell us here?

First off we ought to pray a lot. This suggests that change is possible, your prayers might be answered. If you have been very good. Or maybe not, perhaps it is the act of worship that we should seek rather than any concrete outcome. We need the spirit of Don Dunstan to come and stand on the end of the pier and defy the rising waters. It worked for the Adelaide tsunami.

But then we have:

“As long as the earth endures,
seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat,
summer and winter,
day and night
will never cease.”

It’s all happened before, it will keep happening again and again until the ends of days. It’s out of our hands, nothing to be done, just keep praying. That looks like the message folks, nothing to be done but prepare for the end.

The prayer for wisdom for our leaders would be for the government to buy us all chairs with holes in the seat so you can be comfortable while you bend over and kiss your posterior goodbye. I reckon there could be a rare case of bilateral support for that initiative.

2 Likes

The three cardinal sins?

Never discuss religion, politics or money!

Someone has hit the jackpot. :rofl:

Does Bobby have the inside knowledge on something we should all know, and others have suspected for some time? :wink:

P.S.
I know many of our neighbours have very different religious beliefs or none, appear to follow contrary political ideals, and have varying interest in funding works on our shared boundaries. Fortunately understanding and accepting difference seems to work for all. Conversion is not an option.

3 Likes

LOL I am quoted but it wasn’t my quotes :smile: I do pray and believe in the power of prayer, but I also believe faith must be matched with good works. That means you pray but you must also act. Climate Change that we are going through was not an act of God, it was an act of humans and humans need to act to fix it or suffer the consequences of not acting.

If we have to pray so that World Leaders get wisdom, why are they World Leaders now? Have we got a bunch of clueless dummies at the top?..oooops answered my own question.

4 Likes

An interesting article regarding research into CO2 capture from heavy transport vehicles.

A tale of 3 past and present prime ministers.

One was actively helping to fight the bushfires.

One was busy serving Xmas lunch to the less fortunate.

And one was pre-occupied with losing his mojo.

The Pina Colada video in the above article is an absolute screamer.

Now what was that old saying about Nero fiddling while Rome burned?

It must have referred to this.

But the good news is the NSW RFS boss is certain that the volunteer firefighters don’t want to be paid.

Perhaps he is planning to donate his salary to help support their families instead.

And the pressure is mounting to do the right thing for a change.

And now we are getting hurricanes and cyclones.simultaneously.

Move along folks. Nothing to see here. It was all blown away.

1 Like

One of the last great resources for Australian climate data has this to say, about the past 120 years.

For Queensland it appears we are already living with a 1.5C temperature change relative to the 1960-1990 average, and closer to 2C if we can remember back longer to pre-decimal days?

The trend for NSW is not that much different to up north.

However for lucky Victoria while the same trend is evident. It to date is not as severe, yet?

Apologies to the other states. The source data and graphics can be found here.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/#tabs=Tracker&tracker=timeseries&tQ=graph%3Dtmean%26area%3Daus%26season%3D0112%26ave_yr%3D0

And they say we have until 2050 to limit temperature change to a 1.5C or 2.0C rise. Some of us might already have seen the impacts on our environment of such a large relative change with more still to come?

2 Likes