Climate change and the consumer - news

I believe they cut the transcript service.

Perspectives on Australia’s performance and Kyoto credits:

1 Like

Wollongong aims to be carbon neutral by 2030.

ASIC investigating large companies’ climate change risk management.

How Beijing copes when the air is as bad as Sydney was this week.

And the winner is…Australia.

1 Like

It possibly would also be beneficial for ACCC to investigate those companies which have the potential to be impacted by climate change, to ensure that they don’t use this to ‘gouge’ their customers.

1 Like

That greatest of all living national treasures, deliverer of miracles and magician extraordinaire, has done it again! Not even McGoo could match the skill and daring witnessed everyday. How did we get left out?

On message, it is further evidence that there is no new climate news in Australia, and our efforts don’t matter.

I’ll politely wait until the current COP25 in Madrid concludes. The rest of the world will deliver it’s own judgement on Australia’s commitments and attitude.

The P2’s are the common recommendation. I was simply responding that P2 is not the only filter standard that would offer protection against fine air born dust.

I don’t remember exactly where I purchased the P3’s. I should have qualified I now when needed wear a half face mask (3M/Protector) with replaceable cartridges. RSEA Safety and Trade Tools Direct are on my irregular shopping trips. The P3’s were spare from a previous job. The higher rating is recommended for chemical and asbestos dust hazards, not covered by a P2. Some where in the past I have also purchased P2/P3* rated disposable masks in two packs. Like one other members comment I found them difficult to use effectively. In my instance due to leakage and achieving a good face fit, and despite the mask having an exhaled air release valve. There are various recommendations that disposable masks are not a reliable solution if you require protection of a P3 mask/respirator.

For anyone who has a breathing related health condition, there are other considerations. The extra effort of breathing through a face mask may be detrimental and cause other serious problems for the user. If I did not have the P3’s handy I’d simply buy the cheaper P2 filters for protection from bushfire generated particulates.

The current dust levels must be a concern for many.
I’m just a little extra cautious having worked in industries where the big three (asbestos, silica and coal dusts) were ever present, along side an ever changing cocktail of chemicals.

3 Likes

A powered respirator might be an option. I have a relative who can’t tolerate anything that impedes breathing. She has been known to use one. That would probably be a bit of overkill for most people. Easier to just stay inside.

Which brings up a different issue. For months now, I’ve had to vacuum the windscreen of my vehicle, before dusting (and often washing) it so I can drive safely. I recently bought a blower that takes Makita batteries (which I already own). That does a reasonable job of clearing the windscreen and it’s far quicker. It’s also come in handy for keeping the roof gutters clear on my house.

Perhaps “dust management” could be a subject for a future issue of Choice.

3 Likes

How to survive Christmas.

I have heart/lung issues and currently have a P2 which seems to do the job, it seals well (mostly) against my face and has two one-way exhaust valves for my exhaled CO2 to leave the mask. One has broken, though (the inside piece which holds the filtering bit in place) so I was looking to get something else. I did find a tradie site but the masks didnt look better than what I have. I guess I will make do. Mind you, I look a right idiot when wearing it and nobody else is.

3 Likes

Most experts will tell you that P3 in a disposable mask is almost impossible to achieve in use. The filtering material of the mask may indeed be P3 compliant but fitment of the mask almost always precludes P3 efficiency eg leakage around the nose bridge, facial side leakage (inadequate sealing) & particularly on men but also some women heavier facial hair. To achieve P3 most recommend either decent 1/2 face masks or most likely full face masks (all of these with replaceable filters). P2 is the recommended level for bushfire smoke and again this level of filtering relies on proper sealing of the mask. I have found the P2 disposable masks with a chin pocket suit me best (with a decent nose sealing fitting) when I am doing very fine fibreglass dry sanding & polishing. Yard work like mowing P1 or P2 are good, garden poison spraying is 1/2 face with separate goggles but a full face is probably best but I like to be able to wipe my glasses without taking a whole mask off to do so.

5 Likes

The natives are restless:

We have more to worry about than the obvious:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/12/why-ocean-current-critical-to-world-weather-losing-steam-arctic/

My wife said she wouldn’t wear a mask. I told her I’m happy to wear one - it can’t detract from my appearance.

4 Likes

Will we talk about climate change? Not if our Prime Minister can distract us.

Into the second day of dull red gloom from bush fire smoke, I found that I needed to turn on the lights in the middle of the day. The bright white lifted my mood.

1 Like

#crownofash

Are P1 and P2 suitable for spraying hazardous chemicals? I am guessing they would collect the droplets but not the vapour, is that an issue?

1 Like

Even a basic P1 mask provides protection against droplets.

For Ag chemicals and odours, the general recommendation of WorkSafe Qld is for a minimum Class P2G.

Selecting the best product can become quite complex. Be aware the information in the following targets industrial and professional users.

For the rest of us.
Firstly read the recommended PPE on the safety instructions provided with any spray chemicals.
Secondly refer to the advice on the respiratory mask packaging.

EG

Bunnings and others sell disposable face masks in Protector and 3M brands with an activated carbon filter layer.

Notes:
The most suitable PPE ( respiratory protective mask) varies with the nature of the hazard and the exposure (time x concentration). There a multitude of seemingly contrary recommendations on line.

Using a fine mist or fog sprayer on the back of a tractor for four hours in an orchard has a high exposure risk. Using a similar Ag chemical in a hand spray bottle, and a large droplet directed spray is a very different, lower exposure and risk.

For low pressure domestic herbicide sprayers adjusted to a large droplet size to fall like rain (eg spot weed spraying the lawn) a basic P1 mask, suitable gloves and wrap around safety glasses may be all that is required. You can always do more. Higher pressure sprayers that produce misting, including premixed chemicals in a pressure can that are likely to atomise need a higher level of protection as they can hang in the air or drift back towards the user.

Safe use of Ag sprays includes using them in a way that they cannot drift back onto the user and where ever practical spraying at ground level. The more difficult scenario is folia spraying fruit trees etc to control pests and diseases. As @grahroll suggests there are situations where a full face respirator or half face and goggles are a minimum.

2 Likes

As per @mark_m’s advice

Depends on the chemicals used and if they are volatile ie easily turn to vapour. Most household garden sprays are not very volatile but in certain cases they are and an organic vapour cartridge is recommended on the label & should be used. Some of my under eave and wall sprays used for wasps and hornets require these type cartridges as do some others I use so I just go safer rather than basic when it comes to spraying.

1 Like

An article regarding the Prime Minister now acknowledging that climate change is linked to the bushfire crisis.

And the NSW Enviroment Minister is calling for action.

What a difference a day makes.

1 Like