Choice Survey on Donations and Charities

I started to do the survey but when I got to considering donation to Choice I stopped.

1 Like

Not a criticism of those who stopped at the CHOICE donations questions but I am sure CHOICE would like to know why people stopped (the poll below does not collect your ID it just collects numbers of votes). Some have supplied their reason but others just say they stopped. It might help CHOICE to know your reason/s for not completing the survey and help in future how they might arrange their survey/surveys so that people are not stopping part way through. You can tick as many boxes as you feel are relevant, or you can not complete the Poll but Thank You for at least looking at it, it is appreciated. If you ticked “other reasons” you can leave a comment if you like about why you stopped, below in this topic:

Why I Stopped Answering the Survey?

• Stopped due to request for information
  • Stopped as i think it was sneaky/covert
  • Stopped as I think they are asking me to donate
  • Stopped because it was too long a survey
  • Stopped because I don’t like the questions
  • Stopped because I don’t want to donate to CHOICE
  • Stopped because I already pay a membership fee to CHOICE
  • Stopped because CHOICE isn’t a Charity
  • Stopped for other reasons (if other you can leave a comment in this topic)

0 voters

4 Likes

Choice have always claimed they purchase the items they are testing out of their own pocket, which is understandable, but after seeing the TV and phone reviews I figured the cost of buying the individual products to being over $100,000…maybe closer to $200,000. What happens to the products after they’ve been reviewed, I have no idea if they’re sold off to recoup some of the initial outlay.

2 Likes

Yes, they are sold.

It is covered somewhere else in this forum.

3 Likes

Just yesterday, a friend told me that she accesses Choice through her council library, which I also used to do. What has changed since my time is that she told me she can look at them online through the library now. Great for those who can’t afford or rarely want it but I imagine that that must eat into the income that Choice might otherwise receive.

4 Likes

Perhaps the libraries pay a public use subscription to Choice as they do for Ancestry?

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip about Ancestry, I had no idea! Re Choice, I figured they would pay something but how much is the question!

3 Likes

It is only a bit of offset. Here is the thread. The links in that thread provide further insights and information.

6 Likes

Libraries buy digital subscriptions to many magazines. Yes the publisher usually gets less than if all the readers had their own subscriptions, but more than they would if those readers had to buy subscriptions out of pocket but reality is all of them would not so it is a balance.

Library subscriptions usually come with a maximum concurrent user-count, so at some point you might find you cannot access the library online copy because the number of licenses are checked out and you will need to try again later.

6 Likes

This link is no longer available.

3 Likes

Thanks @meltam, the survey has since been closed so I’ve removed the link. However, feel free to continue to post any thoughts/feedback to this thread. I’ll make sure @jkirby receives any comments :+1:

2 Likes

I did the survey without reading all the comments. Now I have read all the comments.

Like others, I was surprised at the tenor of the questions in relation to donating to Choice. My take on that twist as I was doing the survey was that Choice was trying to find out what would induce, trigger, or motivate people to donate to Choice. I didn’t think at the time it was an attempt to elicit funds, but I can understand how that inferrence was taken by some.

I agree that the survey should have been much clearer up front on the motivation for the survey. A better title may have been ‘How can Choice best compete for donation dollars?’

7 Likes