CHOICE health insurance comparison tool

Welcome to the Community @Sharryn

You can use the Choice comparison tool (Choice member content) to see which best meets your needs, have a go at one of the commercial comparisons sites (most are owned by an insurance company and are not all-inclusive nor necessarily unbiased), or try the government site

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have moved you post to an existing thread which is about comparing health funds.

I hope you are able to get an answer to you question.

1 Like

I just wanted to mention a health insurance product Iā€™ve finally found useful as a single, young person. HBF Flex 60 Extras.

Basically you have a combined cap on all services of $1000, with unlimited preventative dental. And you get 60% back on all covered services. I have found this very easy to understand compared to other products. By the time Iā€™ve had some expensive medication I needed plus some dental work, Iā€™ve already claimed more than my entire Hospital/Ambulance/Extras package.

The only downside? Iā€™ve only got $34 left before I hit the cap. Itā€™s been an expensive year oops

2 Likes

I used the comparison tool for health insurance and in the results it shows Mildura Health as having a low complaint score. Then when clicking on the ā€œabout this fundā€ to read more about the company/organisation the rating shows as ā€œmediumā€.
Why?

1 Like

I just use the Health Insurace comparison tool from Choice and itā€™s shocking that it doesnā€™t show annual limits.

Welcome to the Community @consume and thanks for the input.

I moved both your posts about the comparison tool to this existing topic where they are germane.

Choice staff monitor the forum and @BrendanMays may organise a response to your observations.

In addition to the Choice tool there is also a government tool linked to this post that might also be helpful. FWIW for the past few years both tools have reinforced I am on about the best fund I could be with for my circumstances, so I think both are credible even though they are different with different levels of usability.

3 Likes

An example using the Choice comparison tool including a sample from the Dentals extras cover.

Are these the annual limits you are missing?
I found the tool most helpful. We compared hospital only with a combined policy option that suited our needs. The ratings for gap cover and complaints were also useful when considering a short list of selected funds.

5 Likes

Hi @consume,
Thanks for your comments, and apologies for any confusion we have caused. Iā€™ve let the health insurance team know about the discrepancy. The complaints score is based on Ombudsmen complaints data, and it appears that the correct rating for Mildura is ā€˜mediumā€™. We will update the ā€˜about this fundā€™ page accordingly.

Annual limits typically apply to Extra, so if you were comparing hospital only, that may explain why you didnā€™t see these. Depending on your inputs into the tool, it should show annual excess that you will expect to pay when using a hospital policy.

If you need any further assistance, please send through your questions and Iā€™ll make sure they receive attention from one of our health insurance experts. If youā€™d prefer, you can send it via email to keep any details private. You can email us at community@choice.com.au so I can direct it to the best person.

5 Likes