Cheapskate Landlords

Back in the day if a landlord had a good tennant, they would look after them. Not any more. I too had my kitchen tap replaced recently and also it was replaced approximately 3 years ago. Back then and this time it was replaced with a $15 unit. Also the water pressure was turned WAY down. I can boil the kettle in the time it takes to fill the kitchen sink to do the washing up. Also my toilet cistern had to be replaced. The old one sat higher up on the wall and the replacement one sits closer to the seat. I now have 2 holes on the toilet wall in the gyprock approx 1cm wide and 1 inch long where the old cistern was mounted. The landlords deem this to be a complete repair. Funny thing though - nothing was wrong with my hot water system but they replaced it with the cheapest heat pump hot water system on the market to get their government rebate. :weary:

1 Like

The rental market is rotten in this country…landlords get away with treating tenants like second class citizens. And it’s getting worse. We are long term renters, by choice, we don’t want to own a house, and we have had many landlords/property managers over the years, some have been great but there’s been a few stinkers too. We have always had 100% of bond refunded but it’s a battle. Bond inspections need to be done by an impartial third party, it’s ridiculous that someone with a vested interest decides if you get your money back. We had one agent tried to claim $250 of our bond to remove a few cobwebs from an unused garden shed!! And repairs are done cheaply and grudgingly a lot of the time. Don’t mind banking the weekly rent though!! And the three monthly inspections and photo taking!! Intrusive and demeaning, a complete stranger walking through your house taking photos, how do tenants even know if these pics are not used for some nefarious purpose? Not all agents insist on the three monthly inspections but most do because it’s money for the agency. I always insist on being present for inspections, who knows what they poke about in if no one is home.

3 Likes