Catch-up TV apps. Channel 9... seriously?

Thanks @grahroll, I’ll check it out :+1:

I suspect that will just increase my ping times evern more, although my ISP suggested the need to use one to access blocked sites. I’m glad I’m not trying to watch a video today, the net has been on and off, and on and off some more, far too many times.

Thanks so much for this timely info as I am just in the process of deciding whether to give over my details and create an account or just turn my back on catch up tv and make sure in future I simply record the show. This I can do with our Fox facility.
Thanks again to Choice for giving us the opportunity to discuss issues such as this. Great stuff!!!

1 Like

I use the app on my iPad for these catch up and 9 and abc you can chromecast. Some of them show the same add multiple times over and over and over again. It almost makes you not want to bother. Some of the shows on the apps they have the picture up and no actual show. Channel 9 has improved from last year when it was very glitchy and abc Chromecast much better than it used too. I haven’t had too much problem with and app. You can change the streaming settings in the app to the quality that you like, the low quality is just a blur so I wouldn’t suggest that too anyone! It’s basically unwatchable! If anyone knows a way to get the adds of the apps I would be thrilled to hear it because since I moved from Telstra to optus my t-box is harder to use to record shows and and we only have 200gb of Wi-Fi. I still prefer to use netflix I have to admit. It has the best shows the quality of tv has gone downhill in Australia since netflix arrived it’s basically old repeats and reality tv. I’d rather read a book oftentimes especially now books are downloadable too from the library add free and totally free.

Interestingly until very recently 1st Feb, SBS had 2 forms of SBS on Demand.
One was with adverts on the latest smart TV’s and DVD’s (with a dreadful system of fast forwards or backwards) and one that was absolutely advertisement free, and had a good fast forwards/backwards option.
Which one did they discontinue (upgrade) recently?
Obviously the latter - I wonder why.
Many of the SBS ads apply to less than 1% of the viewing population - why bother?
PeterH

Of course, ‘on demand’ would have registered those details anyway as access exposes the IP address (location data) and viewing habits. SBS could have used the service to ascertain the programmes people actually watch and tweak their programming accordingly. Instead they have chosen the ill-considered commercial route - access only for the sub-set who can be bothered signing in and who don’t care that they have become a marketer’s dream.

Looks like I’ll be using the TV as a gaming monitor now I can’t watch ad free SBS.

2 Likes