Card chargebacks

Old war story about Amex that may reveal something about their approach to customer service.

About 30 years ago I had a bogus charge for a rental car hired in Florida USA; I lived in Texas and had not been to Florida in years. I disputed the charge and they dutifully removed it from my account while investigating.

Months later they reinstituted the bogus charge and provided the hire company’s evidence that did not have my name, did not have my account number, and did not have my address. Amex’s conclusion was I was the responsible party.

Contacting Amex the ‘customer service’ agent entered my card number and the number on the bogus charge. My account came up both times! The agent could thus not see anything wrong with the bogus charge and concluded it had to be mine. Database errors are not common but happened yet the agent’s position was the computer never lies.

It took another few months before Amexaccepted and then fixed the problem. I never had another Amex card save for when Westpac issued a companion Amex to their own Visa/Mastercard offerings. When the companion cards were dropped I once again bid adieu to any Amex relationship.

I look forward to your having some success.

3 Likes