Carbonating Water with Soda Machines

It is as it is typically available as an off gas or byproduct. Purity requirements for industrial processes vary. There is an added cost for food grade requirements for traceability (Batch management) of product, cleanliness of containers, handling and filling etc.

But even in low volume retail quantities it is significantly less expensive than the SodaStream refills.
Say $20/kg. SodaStream base their usage on approx 7gm CO2/l.

It was mentioned in a much earlier post there are adapter kits available to either refill your existing cylinders or direct connect the larger bottles to a soda stream.
Carbonating Water with Soda Machines - #80 by HarryAudus

The assumption is SodaStream have a ready market partly for the convenience of the product. But as @ijarratt, the Choice team and others have teased out in prior posts one can get better value out of a cylinder by following several key tips. Whether SodaStream approves, it’s largest profits likely derive from the follow on sales of gas, syrups, bottles etc?

2 Likes

I’d hoped so - doesn’t explain the screenshot of my Woolies app though?

Except maybe they figured returns were too hard, easier to sell them at the same price? or could just be a ‘simple mistake’ …

Thanks for following up with Sodastream - I’ll follow up with Woolies and see what they say. Glad I kept my empties :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can not see the exchange cylinder unit priced at $0.58 per litre on the website now, maybe they have removed it, just the “spare” cylinder unit priced at $35 per each.

The cylinders are marked as containing 400g of CO2, so to comply with the UP Code the unit price should be shown as $8.75 per 100g.

2 Likes

Someone might need to tell SodaStream?
Both Coles and Woolies supposedly offer exchange in this info from the SodaStream website this arvo.

It doesn’t solve the problem, however might we expect the retailers online stock catalogue to indicate the optional credit for a return on the same item listing? Especially if that is what they have agreed with SodaStream?

2 Likes

I 100% agree re providing that info online, plus instore and staff should know about it since the number of people using the cylinders will be increasing to save money and reduce use of plastic bottles. I exchange mine at Kmart and have not had a problem so far. Maybe the problem is greatest at supermarket checkouts?.

2 Likes

They do, obviously untrained staff at that particular Woolworths store. I have exchanged my cylinders Australia wide, and never had any issues. Had soda stream for as long as I can remember.

Standard practice at some councils.
Tip the cats down a shute and fill the chamber with CO2.
They just go to sleep.

Last night’s cat catch 5.4kg’s.
In the back of the council rangers truck this morning.
Seventy three last year.

If one goes to the online catalogue for Woolies, one price $35. Is this after exchange or without, reading only what Woolies have said in the listing?

If this is all the checkout staff have to refer to, is it no surprise it’s open to misinterpretation? Possibly not to the savvy and experienced SodaStream customer. But for all others and the store staff not so obvious!

There is no value assigned to the exchange. Hence why @draughtrider likely walked away as posted,