Car servicing intervals related to lockdown mileage

Mercedes does promote it’s long service intervals (distance) as a selling point. Their Aussie web site and several others all have the “nn,000 km or 12 months, which ever comes first” statement.

It would be useful to hear more on Mercedes strategy. For warranty is there an obligation to bring the vehicle in at least once a year for a service check? Is Mercedes business service practice to only change the engine oil based on the kilometres, and nor earlier as is typical of many other dealerships. Mercedes choice of an expensive engine oil with a full synthetic base does set them apart from some others.

With the exception of the Mercedes more commercial range of vehicles are pitched at a more premium market locally.

Hi, I have a new VW 2018 model. Its due for service at 4 years/60,000 kms and my car has run only 33,000 due pandemic and other work from home issues. I rang the dealer and was told that since the factory manual states that it needs a major service it will cost $842 for 4 years service. Normal minor service is $429.I stated the kilometers car has done and was told that it does not matter. Gear box oil and pollen filter needs to be changed apart from normal servicing. Filter can grow bacteria even when car is not run.
I rang VW customer care experience team on 1800 607 822. I was informed that the car dealer has a choice. I told them the dealer told me that its a factory requirement! They stated that its just their recommendations. I can request diagnosis of car and then back office can decide. Also was told that they might charge for diagnosis.
Rang the car dealer again. The dealer stated that call center had misinformed me and they were wrong. They confirmed that I can go to another car book service dealer and if they use genuine parts, my five years warranty will be valid.
Rang Ultratune. they confirmed that all i need to do is minor service to keep the warranty or I can do an interim servicing for $220 and that will keep the warranty since car has done only 33,000 kms. they did not want to change pollen filter due to low kms.I questioned the warranty part and they stated that leave it to us and we will certainly look after it, if anything arises.
So its a BIG difference of major service for $842 or interim service of $220. (of course one day I have to get major service done in future.)

What is the best thing to do?

1 Like

Hi @petersm, welcome to the community. I have moved your post to an existing thread which broadly answers the question you have. I have also summarised it for you below:

It is up to you, but in Australia one can chose where to get a service done. There has been recent change to the Australian Consumer Law to facilitate this. If the service is done in accordance with the manufacturer’s service manual (‘the book’) by a suitably qualified and experienced mechanic, irrespective of who they are or work for, then the warranty of the vehicle will be preserved.

It is important that Ultratune do the service ‘by the book’. I would get confirmation from this it is the case if you chose to pursue the upcoming service with them. The reason for this is if the VW service manual says that someone needs to be replaced, changed, cleaned, tightened etc and it isn’t done by a independent mechanic, if there is a future problem there may be a lot of finger pointing of who is responsible for the problem and if the warranty is valid or voided.

2 Likes

I am not quite sure what an ‘interim service’ means, but at that price I would think it would be an oil and oil filter change and some basic checks only.

Which is not what would be covered in a major 4 year / 60k manufacturers book service.

If preserving what is left of your warranty is important to you, then go by the service book. What is to be checked at 4 years is done. What is to be replaced is replaced, regardless.

After the end of the warranty period, then everything changes.

1 Like

When I have my in-warranty routine services done by an independent I always specify it has to be a log book service. My independent provides an invoice that line items every manufacturer recommended/required service for the interval. One year the requirement included replacing perfectly good expensive platinum spark plugs, but replacing them was required to avoid potential issues with the manufacturer should I have subsequently needed to claim.

Ultratune should be asked to provide their own ‘guarantee’ their work would be acceptable to VW as regards the VW warranty. Words are cheap, repairing an engine when the unexpected happens and the warranty is considered voided, not so much.

As has been expressed, service intervals are kilometres OR time whichever comes first, and some items degrade over time regardless of use or lack thereof. Some items are not as germane such as a pollen filter; my dealer once declined to change it per schedule since it was a $65 item they documented looked like a new pristine part, but that was the dealer not a third party.

FWIW there is a report on the Community about a dealer using unapproved transmission oil that resulted in poor shifting and neither the manufacturer nor dealer took responsibility.

Considering the cost of repairs if ever required, follow the log book and whether maintained by the dealer or an independent, be sure your invoices show full logbook services. All reputable mechanics subscribe to services where they have full details of service requirements.

4 Likes

Thanks @phb . I will talk to Ultratune and make sure that they state that it covers VW warranty in the invoice.

1 Like

About Ultratune, my own experience some years ago: my old car’s bonnet was shaking and the RACV proved it needed a new spark plug. When I got to Ultratune they said the car’s shaking was due to valve problems. I walked away. The next mechanic just replaced the spark plugs and the problem was fixed!

This was quite some years ago, things could have changed by now, although they do not get many favourable reviews on Product Reviews.
As it is a franchise it might depend on individual places/mechanics.

3 Likes

Hi @Gregr
Thanks for your reply.
I have until 7/2023 for the warranty to run out. I will talk to Ultratune to decide on what they are going to do. Pollen filter seems unnecessary to change for a 4 year/60K service. Of course, oil and air filter will be changed with normal checks.

2 Likes

@PhilT . Thanks for your detailed advice. I will follow up with Ultratune and see what they are providing in writing.

3 Likes

I take it this is on the cabin air intake. If the air smells good and the filter does not look dirty you don’t need to change it just because some Kms are on the clock.

1 Like

Agree. But what does the service schedule say?

Does it say ‘inspect, and if necessary replace’ , or ‘replace’. Usually things get checked on minor services, but replaced on major services.

1 Like

Does that mean they would take on the responsibility in case of a disputed warranty claim?
Usually parts are replaced when they need to be replaced, except for Logbook Services because the manufacturer has specified what needs to be done and when, so that the warranty remains valid.

1 Like

This article also covers how one can maintain a new car’s manufacturer warranty when servicing a vehicle by an independent mechanic…

1 Like

As the article says:

No matter where you service your car, you’ll need to maintain the vehicle to the manufacturer’s schedule to continue a warranty. This means no skipping routine services, and you can’t go modifying your car materially from its as-delivered specification.

3 Likes

Many years ago, I took my car into an UltraTune for a regular service. When I picked it up, and went to drive away, I discovered that the turn indicator stalk had been completely broken.

I told the manager that it was fine when I dropped the car off and asked what might have happened. He told me he couldn’t be held responsible for everything that every member of his staff might do. He refused to entertain any idea of covering the cost of repairs.

I involved the NRMA, and they arranged for me to meet with the manager and an independant adjudicator. The meeting was in the manager’s office. Just as the manager repeated the line about him bearing no responsibility for everything that his staff might do, one of the staff jumped into a car, and burned rubber leaving the car parking area. The adjudicator and I looked at one another, and he turned to the manager and asked “Was that a customer’s car ?!”.

I left with a cheque to cover the repairs about two minutes after that.

7 Likes

@Gregr Service schedule just checks if additional work was carried out on dust and pollen filter. In my case, dealer adviced that it does not need to be changed due to Kms. They changed air filer insert. Invoice states that service as done as per manufacturer’s specifications.

i think so. Any way the invoice of service states that service as done as per manufacturer’s specifications. Standard Oil filter element, oil replacement, air filer and also break fluid flush service and replacement was done.

Agreee. They checked and stated that there is no need to change at 30K.

ScottOKeefe, that sounds similar to the attitude of a car insurer to a “problem” they discovered with my car.

More than a decade ago…Parked my GTR at the airport. Returned next day to find someone had attempted to steal it. They’d badged it, torn all the wiring out from under the dash, and in trying to start it had done some under bonnet damage, including putting a screwdriver through the intercooler. Called the AFP, who said that someone had attempted to steal a few high performance cars, without success. The security cameras were inadequate to properly identify the culprit. Insurance company collects car, and sends it for assessment. Various damage. They replaced the immobiliser and a couple of other things then sent the car off to have the intercooler removed. The bloke fixing the intercooler claimed there was oil in the radiator water…so the insurance company decided they would send it to another repairer to “fix” it. They decided it must be the cylinder head, so they removed it, had it shaved, and replaced it. Then they decided it must be the block. they pulled the motor out and stripped it down…at which point the insurer decided that it would have to be fixed from that point “at my cost”, despite the fact I’d told them before they pulled the head off, the motor was fine, and since the thief could not bypass the immobiliser, the engine could not have turned over at all. Theire solution was for me to contact the repairer directly, and take it up with them. I told them I don’t have a contract with the repairer, I have a contract with my insurer, which is also the prime contract repairer. The shop he wants me to speak to is his sub-contracter.

The insurer refused to do any more.

So, since they had insisted on using their repairer rather than allowing me to send it to the place that had done all the work on it ever, I told them I’d have it collected. My guys, received boxes of parts, poorly packed and mixed up, along with a vehicle with the front cross member out etc. Block x-rayed and verified; engine reassembled. When a head or block cracks, water normally gets into the oil, not the reverse. The car was repaired and put back together. It cost $6500. The whole thing took 6 months. I paid the bill, and wrote a letter of complaint to the insurer, making it clear that I wanted full recompense for the unnecessary work and cost. Given the way it was worded - not legalistic or threatening, but obviously very carefully worded to refer to the commercial relationship, the steps taken, and the opportunities I had given them to avoid costs. I didn’t mention the financial ombudsman, but I’d spoken to them, and knew I was on solid ground.

I received a cheque with little more than a short letter apologising for “my poor experience” rather than their poor service. Whatever.

Very accomodating CaptJack.
They got off lightly not having to compensate for the consequential loss of use and enjoyment. Pain and suffering is priceless.

2 Likes