Car servicing - disparity between the invoice and what is actually done

Thanks.I will bear that in mind when the time comes for the next service in Dec.

2 Likes

In my case, with the two Hondas, it was not just one dealer. We tried having them serviced at two different dealers - quite unrelated companies, apart from their franchise from Honda.

The result was incredible. Both cars were identical - and had the same mileage - and we both drive them. There should have been little or no difference in service costs. Yet weā€™d get a bill for $300 from one, and over $900 from the other. Impossible to understand or reconcile.

Then later the other one changed hands - sold, to another franchisee from the other side of the country. And almost immediately, up went the service costs. More than double.

Sorry - but I decided to dump both cars, and switch to Toyota.

2 Likes

Join the club. I left Honda 16 years ago for a Toyota, 13 years later sold it and bought another Toyota. Best value motor cars available IMHO.

2 Likes

Over the years I have lost faith in the honesty of motor vehicle repairers. I had moved interstate and I needed to have the wheels rotated and balanced, so I put a very small dot of paint using two colours on the rims (blue front & brown back). This way I could check whether the wheels had been rotated or not. Yes, the job was done. I think I have found a good one. :grinning:
Also in the past I have marked oil filters etc in the same way.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if your warranty would be voided if you had a 3rd party company do the servicing during the warranty period. But I am sure that any reputable service provider can do manufacturer-scheduled services after it. So my advice is to establish a relationship with such a company if you donā€™t already have one and have them do the servicing. Apart from getting honest and reliable work done, you will surely save a lot of money.

4 Likes

Using independent shops does not void the warranty as long as it is documented all required service items per log book requirements have been completed.

See pages 20, 21, 25, and 28 of this document advising businesses on same.

Excellent advice.

3 Likes

I feel certain that Toyota subsidise the dealers with this ā€œcapped priceā€ arrangement. Ultratune have told me they canā€™t do it for the capped price of $180 per service. But short cuts could still be taken.

My father used to do that. Itā€™s a small test that might work wonders if youā€™re say charged for a new oil filter but still have your old one.

The importer (or manufacturer) will be supplying most of the consumables in the capped price service deals, either at cost, or nil value. The OEM has immense purchasing power direct with their suppliers because of factory volumes, which helps. Itā€™s worth noting the premium pricing of OEM parts in non capped price servicing.

Independents such as Ultratune, need to either purchase genuine parts and consumables at trade from the local EG Toyota dealer, or second source equivalents. In the second instance some may err to the higher spec to be safe (premium cost). Others may go low knowing any issues will not be apparent until years on.

One more reason when choosing an alternative maintenance and service provider to go for a good local reputation and stable long term vested ownership.

Not all independents are created equal. Some are franchises subject to frequent/stressed franchisee turnover. Some have hands off owners who appoint paid managers, job security and bonuses are driven by short term goals/performance (turnover and daily profit). Iā€™m cautious of the big brands, with experience varying from location to location. The few local owner operator businesses weā€™ve used have proven the most reliable.

Instead of merely not taking your car back to the dealer, write a letter t the manager telling him/her why you are not returning for further services. Letā€™s know here what the response is, please.

1 Like

I agree that the capped deal is a sweetener provided to the dealer from the manufacturer to convince buyers to return to the point of purchase. At least for the period of the capped price service. That said, many keep returning not even bothering to verify alternatives.

1 Like

That is possibly the marketing/fixed price service outcome. Create a routine and loyal customers so that they continue to get their vehicle serviced after the fixed price capping period ceases. At such time, standard dealership servicing charges will apply and unless one does some price comparisons, one would not know if they are cost competitive.

1 Like

Not a bad idea.
That said, a year ago I left the dealer who sold me the car (in Liverpool NSW) where I had the car serviced for 2 and a bit years. It was there I first noticed items listed on the invoice (capped price that it was) but not performed. I spoke then to person allegedly in charge of service, who showed no interest in my complaint. Arrogantly I was sent multiple reminders to book in for the next service. Of course I ignored them.

This time was 3rd service at another dealer (now in Sydney). The first two times were capped at $160 or so. This time it was no longer capped and I was charged $285. I think youā€™re right to write to the dealer as to why I am not returning. I donā€™t expect he will reply, but in a few months, when I get the reminder for the service, I will write.

Of course the elephant in the room is that the dealer may at the next service be cheaper than another party (be it a chain or one man band) for the fact he can source genuine components cheaper than others, as has been mentioned on this forum.

Then I need to ask myself, putting price to one side, how do I know which party - Toyota, a national chain or a one man band mechanic - will do a good job and not a superficial job?

My experience with a Mazda 6 servicing. Bought the car new and on enquiring was quoted a price of a reasonable $200 for first service so accepted it and continued for 3 years to avoid hassles if there was a warranty claim. However, at the end of this time I switched to a much cheaper local guy (the price of the service with Mazda had doubled to near $400 yet apart from a brake fluid change I authorized at 40000 the services were all just oil and filter change and check check check). However I was waiting next door for the first service with the local when he came to me to say that he could not remove the sump plug because it was completely reamed out! I verified this.
After a brief argument (Mazda didnā€™t have a leg to stand on), Mazda fixed the problem.
After a later local service, the car was backed out for me and I remembered that there was another item in the service list, viz, to check and if necessary clean the air filterā€¦ have you done this? No says my local. OK lets check it nowā€¦ on removal of the filter it was discoveredā€¦ it was filthy! Never touched in 3 years by human (Mazda) hands.
Same questionā€¦ just exactly what are we paying Mazda and others for? A $400 dollar oil and filter change?
Moral: always look in the carā€™s service book to see just what needs to be doneā€¦ usual it is no more than oil and filter change. Get someone else reliable to check tyre wear and rotate as necessary.

3 Likes

Back in the 1970ā€™s, I was in the regionā€™s productivity group which was a Federal Government initative before Whitlamā€™s ship were elected, and at one meeting, the discussion was regarding how the local Holden dealer could increase their productivity, when the subject of spare parts was brought up.

The late managing director of the Holden dealership advised that industry research had shown that almost all new vehicle buyers had ceased to use their original dealers for servicing within 7 years after purchase, so there was no point in continuing to stock parts which might never be sold, so they were scrapped.

I expect that there would now be a lower percentage of new vehicle buyers still returning to their dealers for servicing these days.

Perhaps the dealers have an advantage by simply being able to do their brand of vehicles ā€œin bulkā€ and assisted with their factory provided assistance?

I have both a car, a 2008 Suzuki SX4 & a motorcycle, a 2014 Yamaha MT09. The situation is similar for both vehicles. They both cost about the same for servicing. I have found local mechanics usually cheaper than dealerships & I can discuss issues with the person doing the work. One may ask why a 3 cylinder motorcycle costs a similar amount to service as a 4 cylinder car. The engine of the motorcycle is actually more difficult to access than the car engine. I have noticed over the years an increase in the complexity of accessing vehicular engines. Special tools are now required to perform tasks that I previously performed myself with no special tools. To remove the spark plugs on my bike requires a spanner with 2 articulated joints they are so difficult to access. Some aspects of servicing have become much easier for mechanics with Electronic Control Units (ECU) that can be plugged into & adjusted with a laptop.

I have moved away from the dealerships for my car. They are not reliable & Iā€™m happier with the small local blokes. I check the invoices against the service books to make sure what needs to be done is at least checked by them.

At 40k the motorcycle is recommended to have a major service including adjusting the valves. The local mechanic checked the clearances & they were ok.
Btw a pair of tyres for the bike cost the same as 4 for the car.

1 Like