Car Next Door

It looks like a pencil mark. I would contact them directly with the videos, and threaten you plan to go to the police as you are been scammed/defrauded by the van’s owner.

This is totally unacceptable.

6 Likes

Also, one of the investigative TV shows might be interested in a piece on CND?

6 Likes

Also the Loss Adjuster is complicit here.

5 Likes

And that other mob Choice

7 Likes

I’ve tried to call a couple of times and left a voicemail for the assessor from Focussed Loss Management - will update here if I hear anything back, but I doubt I will.

3 Likes

A quick one but maybe critical detail, do you have linkage of rego in video to other info, I can’t see rego quoted on the report from Focussed and it is probably under blackout.

2 Likes

@Geoff2 Yes, I blacked out the rego in the report but I made sure to capture it on video. I have the unredacted version of the report with the rego on hand in case it becomes necessary.

Have tried to call CarNextDoor just now as I don’t want them to keep charging my card, but apparently my case manager is busy at the moment and will get back to me later today, so will let you all know the outcome.

@CarNextDoor_Official Would love to hear your thoughts on this guys, don’t be shy.

5 Likes

I checked the rego on Rego Check NSW which shows the last 4 digits of the VIN.

It matches the VIN on the scammers’ bogus quote.

3 Likes

I expect you will get a personal reply with an offer of a sweetener to say its all good and you love them.

3 Likes

You could ‘lose’ it and get it reissued :slight_smile: a bit of a pain, but … maybe speak to the bank and ask them what options are available when you are being scammed?

4 Likes

Something else worth looking into is the quote for repair. The quote appears to be that for a company based in Brisbane…while CND and your hire was in Sydney (?), NSW. Did they inspect the vehicle to determine the quote?

I wonder if the quote is based on photographs provided by CND rather than a full inspection of the vehicle to determine extent of damage. If this is the case, it is not good practice as the company doing the quote is relying on the information from the same company/owner making the claim…alleging damage by the hiring party. This would be open to abuse as they could tell the quoting company anything…for example, that the scratch is down to the metal within the panel when in fact it isn’t. The quoting company would then assume this in the quotation and over estimate the amount of work done and the value of the repair work.

4 Likes

Perhaps not The Ten Network. Twice on ‘The Shark Tank’, and a success the first time! 2016 & 2017.

They have some well known (business circles) backers.

Public image might be important, or not? The Shark Tank was all about the money. :thinking:

3 Likes

@phb Yep, I think its pretty obvious the quote is based on photos - its certainly not based on reality.

Don’t forget everyone involved in this repair quoting process has an incentive to inflate the quote.

5 Likes

It is common that insurance companies get repair quotes from their suppliers via photos of the damage these days. Since it is industry practice it would be tilting at windmills to ‘go there’. Of course those photos are higher quality and more objective that the superficial ones shown, but.

3 Likes

I have no issues with this when it comes to write-offs / obvious damage (I’m sure it saves plenty of time and makes the process more efficient), but using it as justification in ambiguous cases like mine results in unfair assessments.

I don’t think we should let CND or other companies write off their responsibility to be accurate because it’s more efficient for them to just outsource all their assessments to another company.

For anyone else following along, still complete radio silence from @CarNextDoor_Official and the assessment company they used, despite emails, calls and voicemails left, although CND’s call centre staff has promised a callback from the case manager today.

5 Likes

I would definitely get in touch with the Insurance Council of Australia or the Insurance Institute of Australia . From what I’ve read it is either bad business practice or a profit sharing scam . They would certainly look into it for you if the Insurance companies are members of the aforesaid institutions .

4 Likes

That was not my intention, my intention was to point out that one will not easily challenge a common industry practice, even when a practitioner appears to be shonky. You can rightfully challenge the photos but not the practice.

3 Likes

@vax2000 Interesting thought, although I’m not sure how their whole insurance system is set up. They just say that as a borrower you are covered under their comprehensive policy. So not sure who the original insurer is, whether its actually Car Next Door or some third party.

5 Likes

It will be a third party. The membership agreement states…

“Our Insurance Policy” means Our fleet motor comprehensive insurance policy with an APRA approved, Australian licensed insurer.

And it appears the APRA approved, Australian licensed insurer is the Suncorp Insurance Group.

The third party insurer is possibly unaware of potentially fraudulent claims being made by CND car owners, and I am sure they would be interested as it is not only a potentially illegal, but it affects everyones premiums in the long run.

4 Likes

I found the following link to insurers who work with Car Next Door . Read it well and you will see a number of " get outs " for the insurer .

4 Likes