Car dealership service department fail

Our less than 3 month old Mazda with1,865km since new, suddenly just went into limp mode only juddering forward slowly, with malfunctions flashing across the console like a small Christmas tree. There was all sorts of varied malfunction warnings: traction control, driver fatigue, smart city forward brake support, engine, etc, etc…

I think that going into limp mode without warning is a major safety issue!! Fortunately, the car was not being driven on the M1, which is were it was headed. Imagine driving at 100kph or 110kph and suddenly the vehicle slows down to a crawl.

Called Mazda dealership. They said drive it there, and they will have a look. I told them it wasn’t possible, and they had to come and collect it, because it cannot be driven there. I explained that under the ACL, the business was responsible for collecting the goods.

In response, they said to call Mazda Roadside Assist to collect it. We don’t have Roadside Assist, so they referred me back to the dealership.

Dealership said I would need to pay for transport to them, and if a warranty issue, they would reimburse the transport. When I declined, and tried to explain it was Mazda’s responsibility. They said that Mazda Customer Care would need to authorise them to pay for it, otherwise, they claim back as a warranty cost from Mazda.

Talked to Mazda Customer Care. Contact person aware of the ACL and said it should be covered, but said she had to go to her manager. Supposedly talked to several managers who reiterated Mazda policy that I needed to get the vehicle to them and IF it was warranty issue they would reimburse. I asked how it was possible for such a new vehicle to have a major electronics failure, and not be a warranty issue. She said that it did seem likely to be warranty, but apologised and reiterated Mazda policy.

I read out the relevant part of the ACL in relation to large goods which says it is the businesses’ responsibility to collect, and they can recover costs if not a warranty issue. She wouldn’t budge. I referred her to Returning the product. Still waiting for a call back.

I don’t know if it is a systemic problem, or not, but it is certainly incredibly dangerous, and I can’t see how this is not immediately dealt with as a warranty issue.

Edit:
I have been asked to send in the relevant section of the ACL because the Mazda Customer Care people couldn’t find that section. They said if it’s there, they will comply and collect our vehicle. So I’ve sent it in. Let’s see what Monday brings. :slight_smile: :oncoming_automobile:

5 Likes