Can anyone tell my why they add sugar in tin beetroot?

The serving size on the packaging is determined by the manufactuer.

The portion size is that determined by the consumer at the time of consumption.

The serving size on the packaging should broadly represent the average portion size used by consumers for the particular product, assuming the product is used as assumed by the manufacturer when determining the serving size. In reality, every consumer is different and potentially uses the product different to that assumed by the manufacturer when determining the serving size.

For example with 450g whole tinned beetroot (where Golden Circle has a serving size of 3.5 per tin or about 130gms ). A consumer may decide to slice it, use it whole in a salad or make borscht.

The serving size is only likely to represent a consumer who possibly like a lot a beetroot on their salad (which is likely to be the serving suggestion). If one slices them and uses the beetroot on a salad sandwich or burger, the portion will be substantially less than the serving size (I can’t imagine eating 130g of beetroot on a burger). If the beetroots are turned into borscht, one would potentially consume more than the serving size.

In reality, serving sizes aren’t overly realistic as every consumer is different and may use the product in different ways. The serving size however gives an indication of the likely number of serves on average per tin. One must recognise what serving sizes are are what they mean when purchasing the product. If consumer don’t, then a food product label will become large as a manufacturer would be trying to include every possible use and the likely service size for each potential use. This would become very confusing very quickly.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that that occurs and that the incentive for the manufacturer from the perspective of the nutritional numbers for the ‘bad’ things (like sugar and fat) is to do that.

However I have seen the opposite i.e. serving size is positively gluttenous; and the incentive for the manufacturer from the perspective of sales is to do this - if people pay any attention to the nutritional panel; and for the nutritional numbers for the ‘good’ things they don’t want to understate.

(In other words, they don’t want to tell you that it is 10 servings per pack, and have you eat the product like a sparrow, from the perspective of sales.)

To be honest, I usually just look at the figures per 100g / per 100ml - and use that as a comparison between products.

1 Like

Sugar is added to canned beetroots to help preserve it and to improve the flavour.
Fresh boiled beetroot contains about 4.2 g per 100 g. during canning, they normally add about 0.3 to 0.4 g per 100 g.
Draining and rinsing the canned beetroot wiil eliminate most – but not all – of this extra sugar.

1 Like

I imagine that sugar is added not just for making beetroots sweeter but to add to their shelf life. Just picture opening a tin of beetroots several years after its best before date has expired 
 it will probably taste like new.

1 Like

I doubt it. You could can beetroot in water and it would last as long but it may not taste as good. The shelf life depends on being rendered sterile and the can (jar, bottle) remaining sealed to prevent entry of microbes. Sugar does play a part in some kinds of preserving but not this case.

2 Likes