‘Breakfast’ Cereal Review

Yes, but not very much of either. The recipe you gave has both. It would be approximately 10% sugar where weetbix is nearer 2%.

Without trying it I can’t be sure but I suspect there is not enough water to gel the starch in the grains and flour so it will likely have that raw flavour.

Thanks for trying to help but it’s not for me.

2 Likes

Yes, looks like a lot more sugar salt and fat.
But it sound like a nice treat: maybe a snack for children once in a while.

1 Like

this is exhausting. I am done.

When you cook you control the amount of sugar, salt etc

Everyone here is as bad as my neighbor. Everything is bad and too hard unless you buy it.

I told him I bake bread now… he told me it’s ‘no good and it’s crap’ better to buy and still tosses it all a day after buying it.

Be fair @annaa63 :slightly_smiling_face:
Say we omit or reduce the one cup of sugar and the salt, and leave out the chocolate, the cranberries, and the highly saturated fat coconut, we would still have the sodium in the baking powder and the fat in the one cup of oil. The ingredients left would be oatmeal, grain, wheat flour, water and vanilla essence, why would we mix and bake those?

1 Like

Not at all, you are inventing things that were not said and do not happen. Just the things I can think of that I make my own:

• bread and pizza base
  • jam and marmalade
  • preserved fruit
  • biscuits and cakes (a rarity)
  • pies, tarts and quiche with home made pastry
  • ice cream and desserts with home grown eggs (rare)
  • mayo, dressing and sauces on dishes (bolognaise, bearnaise, lemon, mushroom etc)

The main meals are almost all home made from scratch with fresh meat and vegetables, including home grown garlic, herbs, fruit and vege in season.

I do use a few convenience foods such as frozen fish as there is no fishmonger withing a bull’s roar.

What I don’t make from scratch are things like condiments, factory sauces, filo pastry, olives, salami, ham. Yes and weetbix. The reason? The amount of effort is just far too much for the results and/or it would require skills and equipment I don’t have.

Have you ever made spanakopita or lahem bageen? I bet you didn’t make your own filo. Do you use any Asian sauces, I bet you don’t make your own soy, hoi sin or oyster sauce. I have peeled, seeded, cooked, reduced and seasoned to make my own tomato sauce. Doing this you reduce a big heap of tomatoes to a couple of cups of sauce but it takes hours. It is nicer than store bought. Worth the trouble? Not unless you love your tomato sauce and are bored and have nothing to do.

You let your passion obscure the fact that others make reasonable decisions even if they do not read from your hymnal word for word.

2 Likes

Uncle Toby’s Oatmeal with Murray River Raisins and Cranberries? Sounds good?
It was a weak moment. I usually mix my own Bircher - I didn’t even notice the box contained 8 sachets. Sachets? Each a tablespoon full? The flavour? :nauseated_face:
I wrote an email to Customer Services asking how Uncle Toby’s manage to turn three wholesome ingredients into something inedible. They replied with apologies, and said I’d received an eVoucher to compensate. I did - $10. I wrote again and said the healthy ingredients only added up to 90%. It does list ‘Natural Flavours’ - which again are contained in the 3 ingredients highlighted. But there it is - Sugars 5.mgs, Sodium 4 mgs, and we take it something wheaty - because it has ‘Contains Gluten.’ There is no gluten in oatmeal.
The Kangaroo Triangle appears next to ‘Made in Australia from at least 94% Australian ingredients’. We presume that extra 4% is part of the 5mgs of Australian grown sugar. :thinking:

Fact or fiction?

This may be listed to allow for the fact that other foods are processed in the same factory. Even the 100% oats products state “Contains gluten, May contain wheat, rye, barley lupin”

The product contains 5.8 grams of sugar per 100 grams. Given that raisins and cranberries are around half sugar, they are likely to be the source of most or all of the sugar.

I have re-opened the topic to allow some discussion around the newest posts. This topic will not necessarily remain open after any relevant discussion. Please remain thoughtful of what comments are posted so that they remain within the Community’s guidelines.

Get organic oatmeal and add raisins and cranberries.

https://thesourcebulkfoods.com.au/?s=oats&post_type=product&dgwt_wcas=1

https://thesourcebulkfoods.com.au/?s=cranberries&post_type=product&dgwt_wcas=1

As I wrote, I normally do buy the separate ingredients - have done for 55 years. What I pointed out was the salt and sugar additives that do not need to be added to oatmeal, raisins and cranberries and that lead to a ghastly taste - sugar and salt don’t cancel each other out. My point was I let the company know. If everyone did that we might change the processed food situation. One can only hope.

1 Like

There is a similar protein in oats called avenin. However, oats are less toxic to people with coeliac disease because there is not much avenin in oats, and the avenin present is less likely to trigger harmful immune responses compared to wheat, rye and barley.

A very small number of people with coeliac disease do react to pure oats.

Studies show that most people with coeliac disease can safely tolerate pure oats and do not develop adverse symptoms or intestinal damage. Adverse effects, such as unpleasant symptoms or intestinal damage, are estimated to occur in less than 5-10% of people with coeliac disease.

(Source)

As a result, in Australia any oat product is required to be labelled as containing gluten, even if the product doesn’t contain wheat products:

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/foodallergies/Allergen-labelling-exemptions

The total weight of the contents in each sachet is 40g (320g in 8 sachets).

40g of rolled oats corresponds to 0.4544 of a cup or 110ml. This corresponds to about 7.5 tablespoons.

The ingredients list and nutritional information is here:

Cranberries aren’t grown commercially in Australia and this is likely to be part of the source of the imported content (most likely US or Canada). Percentage of natural flavours isn’t given. These are also likely to be imported content. The remainder could be in the sugar or additives to the raisins.

I am aware of the chemical that can react like gluten for some - but it’s not actually gluten.
The point is that the listed ingredients are: 82% Oats, Sugar, Raisins, 5.5%, Sweetened cranberries, 2.7% = 90.2% and Natural Flavours. Given the natural sugar in raisins and the extra sugar added to cranberries, what is the 9.8% Natural Flavours?
The point is, why is salt and sugar and whatever else added to these overly processed foods?

The percentage of sugars isn’t given. Cranberries and raisins contain about 60-65% sugar. Oats is about 1%. Total sugar from the nutrition panel is 14.5%. Therefore added sugar can be calculated to be around 8.5-9%. Natural flavours is therefore around 1%.

Natural flavours come from food products, rather than artificially produced. It is likely the natural flavours will be from raisins or cranberries… or produced from other foods such it adds (similar) cranberry/raisin flavours to the product.

Any food except in its natural form is processed. Even rolled oats is processed and looks different to the oats cereal grain.

In supermarkets, the only foods which aren’t processed are whole fruit and vegetables, and possibly raw meats and whole grains/legumes (with minimal processing to remove skin, husks/pods or being cut into pieces). Everything else is processed.

3 Likes