Best VPN services

Have recently changed over to SurfShark VPN . Very impressed with their customer service and the features they offer .

6 Likes

Mozilla have started rolling out their VPN globally, currently only available in the US, the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia. Under the hood its Mullvad using the WireGuard

5 Likes

Malwarebytes is now offering a VPN service . I use Malwarebytes but I am more than happy with Surfshark VPN in all respects .

3 Likes

I’m currently using Oeck. But I don’t think I will continue with it, its really expensive. That said, its probably the best of the VPNs I’ve had.

2 Likes

This is a self serving blog but aspects may be inforative if this is how ‘it’ works, and there is little reason to believe otherwise. Some test/rank sites may be above board, but.

@SteveDuncombe, any comment, especially on the pay to play for ranking aspect for some ‘expert sites’?

https://blog.windscribe.com/were-not-paying-for-1-25b4e55ca10f

2 Likes

If one is solely for a secure connection when using public internet access (locally or internationally), one can save significant monthly/annual fees by setting up a vpn on their NBN router, if the router supports Open/PPTP VPN.

Check the manual for your router to see if VPN is supported, and if it is, if you are reasonably confident, you can create your own personal VPN knowing its security and that your data won’t be potentially watched by a free or paid VPN service.

I thought that PPTP along with L2TP was just not as secure as OpenVPN? My router does the former, but not the latter which is why I just have apps or OpenVPN on devices.

2 Likes

Yes you are right @SueW

OpenVPN is underneath it all a SSL based VPN system. It can use TLS (my preferred security), it can use either UDP or TCP as it’s transport.

PPTP has many known security issues and is largely obsolete as a VPN method. It was developed by MS. It’s benefit was it was simple to set up.

L2TP is more secure than PPTP but still has flaws and for encryption mostly relies on IPSec as it doesn’t really encrypt very strongly on it’s own so sometimes you will see it referred to as L2TP/IPSec. L2 (Layer 2) is a network layer to transfer data and supports Unicast, Multicast and VLANs among other things. As a VPN it is much more about anonymisation than being secure.

4 Likes