Best vacuum cleaners - review

Thanks for the reply @MattSteen . I feel for your budget problems. Perhaps adding some text about issues with differing carpet types and things to watch out for when buying a vacuum, such as stiffness/effect of powerhead brushes for wool, and so on, for each would be a comparatively easy start? As for ‘streamlining’, there have been a few comments on how most of us vacuum; how many get to ‘10’ ever, unless aggregated over weeks :wink:

3 Likes

Sometimes Choice is good about considering people with allergies.
With respect to carpets and allergies:-

• people sensitive to pesticides avoid wool carpets & wool blend carpets
  • people sensitive to stain guard chemicals avoid nylon carpets & nylon blend carpets
    => which leaves polypropylene carpets (don’t stain, long wearing).
    (and yes we avoid putting carpets in bedrooms, and go for bagged vacuums with good filters)

==> therefore the comments about the type of carpet used by Choice testing are very pertinent.

4 Likes

We rank these three vacuum cleaners highly for removing pet hair:

5 Likes

We’ve highlighted three vacuums we think are super easy to use. Find out which ones here (member content):

4 Likes

After logging in I expected ‘Vacuum 1’ etc to change into the particular make and model. Although signed in it still displayed Vacuum 1, Vacuum 2, and Vacuum 3 with the paragraphs describing each. Going on to the reviews one can discern the makes and models, but seems a web presentation ‘miss’ to members.

Not a bad teaser to sell access but a logged in member should see the makes and models without having to become a junior sleuth.

Firefox and Edge do the same, so it does not seem browser dependent.

6 Likes

Thanks, I’ll pass your feedback. I agree it would be much better to have it displayed this way :+1:

4 Likes

Still, the general product category reviews are easy to access and use. No need to repeat @PhilT’s comments on the three up recommendations.

Dyson are running a special on the ‘V8 Animal’, possibly end of model. $799 rrp, now available at Myer for $499, or even better the GoodGuys at $479!
(27 Nov 2019)

I won’t spoil it for non members looking for a stick vac as to how good it might be up against the other brands at that price point, or the other Dyson models! It’s always good to use our members access to check when there is a special if the product has the goods.

P.s. Now that we own one I think it needs a different name? I’d liken it to a Jetson’s styled design and colour scheme.

1 Like

Here’s the most reliable vacuum brands according to our research. Thanks toall the members who helped out with the survey :+1:

5 Likes

We’ve updated our recommendations on the vacs for picking up pet hair:

3 Likes

Interesting… I bought the Hoover mentioned on that page before I read the reviews and I have found it to be exceptional by comparison with others (a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser and a Volta pet thing which is worse than any ordinary vac). It slurps up Toby’s dropped fur really well. Yeah, no on board storage of some of the bits but I’m glad because that would have made the barrel much larger and its a great size just as it is. Yes, doesn’t get close to edges but thats what the narrow “head” is for. No issues here.

1 Like

While it is yet to be tested by Choice, about 6 weeks ago purchased a Navigator Pet Corded Upright Vacuum with Self Cleaning Brushroll (model 2102100ZU62ANZ) for our accommodation business. We have been impressed by this relatively in expensive vacuum.

While we can’t vouch for its pet hair picking up abilities, we can offer the following comments:

• The rotating bristle drum on the cleaning head beats the carpet and causes the release of a lot of dirt and dust. We have a Miele vacuum for our home, and we tried the Shark vacuum after a good Miele clean and the Shark removed significantly more dust. While it seems to be very effective in removing dust deeper in one’s carpet, it also tends to remove some carpet fibres.
  • Its setting are basic. There is only one suction level which is adjusted by a slide bypass lever (when the leaver is opened, suction is reduced at the cleaning head as it takes in air from opened bypass.
  • The vacuum also has two floor settings, carpet and hard floors. For hard floors, the bristle drum rotates slowly while the carpet setting it rotates fast making a whirring sound and also ‘beats’ the carpet. If one leaves the carpet floor setting on and the vacuum stationary when active, the drum can make grooves on the carpet. These can be brushed out.
  • It is easy to release collected duct, but wiping the internals of the dust bin can be difficult ig one has big hands (we use a duster instead as it can fit in between the surfaces for cleaning.
  • It is only okay as far as getting into corners with the cleaning head. One needs to use the additional tools supplies to ensure corners and edges are cleaned well.
  • The hose isn’t as extendable as one would like. While it can be stretched when pulled, it tends to also pull over the vacuum is one doesn’t keep hold of it.
  • the pipe fitting are not a standard size so one can’t use old tools unless an adaptor is purchased.
  • The vacuum, being upright, is relatively thick making it near impossible to vacuum under beds and other furniture. This is where the pipe size become a problem as another vacuum head (sush as from a Miele) can’t be readily attached to clean under such items.
2 Likes

I sold vacuums during one summer while at uni and remember no matter what vacuum one uses or how good it is, going over the same carpet afterward will reliably extract more dirt unless the first vac was done to the absolute Nth degree. Even then after the piles have a chance to relax again some dirt will usually fall out, enhancing the sales pitch for the target vac used to clean up the mess left by the first high quality one :wink:

The only way to compare is, as choice tests, to put a measured sample on a carpet and weigh what comes up, noting that has dependency on the carpet (nylons vs wool vs others, and pile type)

There is a trade-off on the carpet as above, but some brushes are stiff and others flexible. The stiff ones seem to result in better cleaning at the expense of ‘ripping’ more fibre from the carpet. Wool is especially susceptible in the hands of naive users for very stiff brushes to ‘plow’ and thus damage higher piles, in addition to your referenced ‘grooves’ on the carpet when stationary. Unfortunately they cannot always be brushed out, carpet type dependent, as the pile can get damaged (eg ‘top shredded’).

2 Likes

I purchased a miele going on recommendation. It is reliable and the cord rewind always works. Only just recently looking as, some one else may or may not need a new cleaner. When I checked people reviews some had bad /good comments. I always prefer to go by what the actual results are compared to customer reviews because it could be inaccurate. But one customer is correct when he said the prices vary greatly. For example one review price was more expensive than the advertised price in store. I can only think that some shops vary.

The latest (2023) vacuum cleaner review includes the ‘Sauber Pro Pets Bagged Vacuum SJ-100’.
What I find interesting is that I have a “Hoover Action Pets” vacuum, which is about 7 years old - it is identical to the Sauber SJ-100, if there is a difference it is not obvious from the photos!
In an old review of the Hoover vacuum (it is discontinued), it was given a rating of only 72% with a number of bad points. While the Sauber had ‘nothing in particular’ for bad points?
The “Hoover Action Pets” I have has been excellent. I much prefer it to the previous Dyson bagless vacuum, being able to just throw out the bag when it is full is much better than the constant dust accumulation in the barrel - yes, it can be washed out, but it is a nuisance.

The negatives for the “Hoover Action Pets” are:

• The extension cord is a bit short, so I need to use an extension cord - not a huge issue, but the cord could be longer.
  • The cord retractor mechanism is weak - since new - and takes a few goes to get the cord fully retracted.
  • The wheels are too small, making it difficult to manoeuvre at times. At time this results in the machine tipping over.
    Other than these few problems it is a great vacuum. The turbo head is a terrific feature when vacuuming on carpet as it is simply a matter of turning the turbo head on by the switch on the handle.
1 Like