Battery - Ride on Lawn Mowers

I saw that backpack when I was looking at the battery tools. FWIW, computers all had proprietary connectors back in the day; marketing driven design decisions to build in obsolescence within the same brand; to frustrate buyers of plug-compatible brands; and to make it more difficult to interoperate across brands.

No prizes for guessing it’s the market leading brands that run lock-in strategies; while fringe brands trying to break through that promote “open connectivity”.

I’m waiting for common sense to prevail, with safety standards or other rational reason for an enforcing industry standard for battery connections. Alternatively, some manufacturers could agree to co-operate to create a standard…similar to the AAA, AA, C, D, 6V lantern, 9V small…

That may never happen. Taking EGO as an example, their batteries are an odd shape that is intended to increase surface area to facilitate cooling which becomes important for higher power batteries. They say their tech is patented, whether the patent would prevent plug compatible copies being sold would depend on exactly which features are protected but while ever it gives them a commercial advantage I don’t see EGO playing nice and sharing.

1 Like

They don’t need to allow plug compatible copies, they only need plug compatible connectors or connector points - like a higher (electrical rating) trailer plug.

But you’re probably right, it may never happen. It’s never in the interest of the market leader, nor the immediate couple of challengers to have open systems. AFIK, a patent will protect the novel technology it covers, but only to the extent of the novelty defined and approved. It won’t cover connectors per se, even if they have a unique design (unless they have a novel locking system, then that MAY be covered.

PC Charging adapters were all different once. Each brand had their own plug and voltage, until “brand Gen Eric” came up with a voltage switchable power unit with a multi-plug system. Now they’re all using USB-C / Thunderbird…

It’s very much a side topic if we wish to continue the side discussion?

The various powered connector interface standards used in mobile devices (USB etc) include specifications for the power circuits (maximum currents, voltage regulation etc).

For standardised lithium tool and accessory batteries would it need a standard/agreement on the current capacity of the battery connections, the discharge ratings of the batteries and charging intelligence, and … It’s likely more than just a plug and voltage compatibility requirement with duty also a factor. Hence a likely argument from the OEM’s.

Sticking to mowers, I don’t see how you are going to use other batteries in the Ego ZT without them being drop-in compatible. Where would you put the third party batteries if they don’t go in the rear compartment designed for the purpose? I think you are oversimplifying this, the analogy with USB and other standardised plug/socket systems might work for AGM batteries used in the Ryobi, for example, but not the lithium in the Ego.

I bought an Ego Z6 battery ride on mower a couple of weeks ago. I needed a new mower as the old Husqvarna petrol engine is reaching the end of its life. About 12 acres (5 hectares) of grass on my property needs to be maintained, some in orchards and gardens for looks, snake control and convenience. The rest for pasture management for horses and weed and fire control. I require a mower that is agile enough to get around fruit trees and produces a nice lawn but also has the power to get through heavy grass that need not look so good.

Before we get into it, I should point out to those who haven’t had a ride-on before that it is the sustained power delivered to the blades and the weight of grass that determines how fast you mow, not the maximum speed nor the width of the deck - unless the wider deck has more power. What you can mow and the speed, with any kind of mower, depends on the length, thickness and water content of the grass.

I thought that a battery mower would be better than a new ICE because;

• The fumes from the petrol motor upset my asthma.
  • The maintenance should be less, as the Husky needs fuel, oil, lubrication, filters, belts and, being all mechanical, it has many moving parts that wear and need replacement or adjustment outside of the motor. A battery mower needs re-charging but almost no other maintenance (other than cleaning) for the motors or anything else. I hate changing belts or worse taking the Husky to pay somebody to do it.
  • I expect the price of fuel to keep going up for an ICE but with some management I can charge the batteries from my solar array mostly at a rather low marginal cost.
    I have not kept a ledger but my guess is the all-up running cost of the Husky is close to $1,000 PA.

The replacement search was not very fruitful as there are few powerful ride-on battery mowers in Oz. In an ideal world I would wait another two or three years before this purchase but that was not possible.

We have seen that BEV cars are still rather expensive now so I expected the mower to be the same. The Ego isn’t cheap, in round figures $10,000 including a sunshade and standard four batteries. A replacement for the Husky that has similar capability would be about $13,000 with no sunshade.

So how does it compare? The Husky is 4WD and articulated which is good on slopes and rarely gets bogged. It gets around the trees just fine and having the deck at the front it is easy to push in and mow under trees and shrubs. The Ego is zero turn which means it is (at most) two-wheel drive and if trying to turn only one may be driving so it is not so good on slopes or soft ground.

The Husky is nominally 15HP and the Ego 23 HP. With the ICE that is the measured power of the motor, what gets to the wheels or deck is less. Ego don’t say how they measure, it could be the aggregate power of all four motors going flat out – or something else. The Ego has similar power to the Husky at the deck by my estimating at its standard power but more in high power mode. There are four levels of power for the deck, at the top level it burns through charge right quick. It goes surprisingly well in heavy conditions. If you push the Ego too hard the blades stop, that is it saves itself from damage. It also has an overheating protection on the motors and batteries. If you push the Husky too hard you stall the motor or burn your belts.

The Ego is more comfortable and faster. Why does a mower have ‘sports’ mode? I don’t use it and I don’t know why you would want to. You sure don’t want to have those blades going while at top speed. They both have drink cups! Yea! And the Ego will charge your phone. The Husky is steadier on a slope and has better grip in soft conditions. I may be pulling the Ego out of soft spots with the car or the Husky.

How about range I hear you thinking. The Husky will go for 4 or 5 hours on a full tank, far longer than most people would sit on it. The Ego, it is claimed, will cut up to 2 acres on a charge (with 4 batteries) - when you read the fine print it says ‘under light conditions’. The conditions would have to be very light, short dry grass on a smooth level area with no obstacles. I haven’t tested it but I suppose the claim could be true. More important is that those conditions are rarely if ever found. This is rather like the claims of car makers about fuel economy without any standards. In my situation after about an hour I have had enough and so I recharge me and the mower. I think it would probably go two hours in light-moderate conditions.

The batteries recharge from almost zero to 100% in about 90 minutes. Battery management is simple and useful. You have several gauges to show remaining charge and you can run them down from 100% to about 5% and recharge straight way without doing any harm. At about 5% it goes into limp-home mode and turns off the blades so, unless you are a very long way from home, you can get back to recharge without pushing. There are guarantees on the machine and the batteries.

As I can choose when I mow and for how long the range limit is no big deal to me. I am intending to buy two more batteries (it has room for 6) to extend the range further which will be another $1,000 or so. If you needed to do an 8 hour day on it that would not be possible even on 6 batteries and in the lightest conditions. In principle you could have several sets of batteries and spare chargers and swap them over (which is very easy) but this does not seem cost effective or desirable to me.

Would I recommend it? Yes, if it suits you. To start with spending such a sum is only required if you have big areas to mow. You can get cheaper ICE ride on mowers but they will not be as agile as zero turn or articulated and often would be less powerful. I think in the long run the maintenance costs and fuel costs will make the comparison of total cost over the life of the machine much in favour of the electric but we will have to wait and see how long the batteries last and if there are any expensive repairs not mentioned.

If you would find stopping to recharge annoying or your work would not permit it then this is not for you. The machine is well designed and seems well made, there are a few frivolities (phone charger) but overall it is down to business with few moving parts and few channels and cavities to fill with dry grass and cause problems.

An aside is that Ego appear to me practising resale price maintenance. The price is the same at all outlets and is AFAIK not negotiable. The vendor where I bought it says that is a ruling from Ego. Resale price maintenance is illegal unless an exemption is approved or the Miele system is used to get around it. If Choice are to do a review I suggest that the issue is investigated as I cannot find any exemption.

3 Likes

Very useful feedback on the experience.

Noted pricing here appears to be fixed, not negotiable on EGO products.

Our local EGO dealer keeps the one and only ride on indoors, part charged, no demo. It sits invisible to the passing trade. A small workforce of Toro, Club Cadet, and other brands in every version adorn the great outdoors enticing one to come and look. They are started everyday to run them out and put away. Not so the EGO.

One more - this time a Victa with a lithium LFP formula battery supposedly good for 1.5acres - approx 6,000sqm. $7k nominal price point.

Not down to the $5k price point of the Toro which looks to be near the bottom of the choices for a battery ride on. Also similar in style. Toro eS3000 30" (76cm) Battery Powered Ride-On Mower - Bunnings Australia
Note the Toro is a lesser 30” cut vs the 38” for the Victa. The Toro also has an inferior choice of lead acid AGM battery. The narrower Toro may appeal to some with tighter access, and to get the best life out of the AGM battery a less ambitious work load?

Me AGAIN it’s 2024 - Where are all these rechargeable lawn tractors now? - Just bought a Husqvarna 2 cylinder lawn Tractor (“just” is 2 years ago ) - Got 3 tractors now all running all never been in for repair(Did all repairs myself) - Would not touch a battery mower - Maybe in 5 years if I’m still around I may reconsider

Like battery vehicles, availability, price and battery performance are still limiting popularity. The limited demand in turn limits economies of scale for makers and so price and availability. The turnover point where feedback gets positive is still a way off for both but getting nearer for cars at least.

I enjoy my Ego Z6 (see review above) as I hate the time and expense of fuelling, oiling, replacing belts and other bits and pieces and breathing fumes. If only they had a 4WD model instead of just the zero turn. You wouldn’t have any fun doing maintenance on one as there isn’t any.

That’s a lot of choices for a half acre. Admittedly we use 3 too. Many more acres though. A small ride on for the wet areas and tight spots, a large zero turn does the bulk of the mowing (2-3 acres) and a proper 4WD with slasher for the tall stuff, and other needs.

Looking at replacement for the smaller ride on I’d expect to spend $4k-$5k new. More if 4WD to minimise the need to winch it out when all goes wrong. I’d happily replace the smaller ride on and zero turn with a Hasquvarna front mount deck, as it could also do what the ZT does, just a little slower. They make a battery model, but only a 2WD for the moment. ($11k-$13k) a premium choice with a lithium ion battery. To note a replacement for the ZT which is 8 years young with another ICE would set us back $12k.

The latest battery ride on mowers are looking like better options for anyone starting out with an acre or two. From first hand experience of knowing well the cost in time, parts, fuel and or service personnel for the ICE fleet at our place.