Basic dental care should be available to ALL via Medicare

We did have a dental care scheme for low income earners and children under the Gillard government but it was axed by Abbott. It is interesting that today neither of the major parties are talking about anything at all in this area much less full coverage. It must be one of those health issues that only happens to other countries.

1 Like

Nothing but visionaries in parliament? From 2012.

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly just having had some long standing abscesses in my gums treated by tooth extraction. Fortunately I applied to the NSW Oral Health Service when I moved here and am now under the care of the Dental Hospital and a very caring and competent group of professionals. I also have a voucher for some treatment for my remaining teeth with a dentist who is on the approved list in the area. I do think however, that DENTAL and ENDODONTAL CARE should come under the umbrella of the Federal Government. Poor oral health can kill you!

3 Likes

I have an appointment at the local public dental clinic next week. I wanted to go to my usual dentist (who is very good) but I can no longer afford him. A filling cost me $275 last time and that was nearly 3 years ago. But, I’m a tooth grinder and now have multiple cracks in a few teeth and fillings and bits f teeth have come out. I hope the public dentist will simply remove the offending teeth, I just dont feel inclined to have “repairs”

2 Likes

It’s a symptom of the improvements in dental care that most of us now reach retiring age with our adult teeth. There is no assurance that care can end at 65+.

Reality is older Aussies face many years of needing increasingly expensive dental care. It’s a reward for living longer and having on average better dental outcomes earlier in life. Amalgam filling failure, wisdom teeth, crowns, implants, bridges, dental plates, etc are all on the cards for when one is living the good life and no longer at work.

Quality of life includes being able to eat and enjoy what ever food we choose. Something that requires a full set of effective working teeth. That is unless you are a fan of watery soup and purée. I wonder how many of our politicians, working or retired can relate?

4 Likes