Avoiding problems caused by water leaking from flexible hoses to appliances, taps, etc

Good tip. Maybe another is consider installing one of these or similar upstream of the flexible pipe…

https://www.ewingindustries.com.au/collection/safety-cap-off-valve-cp/

Video is worth watching to see how it works.

Haven’t been able to find full specs but an onseller indicates they allow flows up to about 11-13L/minute and shut off the flow when these flows are exceeded. One would need to ensure that the tap connected to the valve is a water saving one with flows ≤9L/ minute.

These might be a better (not cheaper than replacing a flexible pipe at about $50 each plus fitting - the would be cheaper than a custom copper option) failsafe option. It could also be mandated for new builds/any pipe replacements to prevent water damage. It also negates potentially the requirement to replace flexible pipes after a certain time as one could let a pipe fail…and then replace. This reduces waste as well. I might look into these when I have more time as our preferred option…as we have about 28 pipes need doing.

1 Like

Interesting.There is much to learn on this topic.
For example, tonight at Bunnings I saw that for some lengths there is also a premium quality brand of the braided steel coated flexible hoses. These have braided nylon covering the braided steel and have a 15 year rust resistance warranty. They only cost slightly more than the others.
And I noticed that the Boston brand hose products recommend that they be replaced after 5 years and that taps be turned off when appliances are not being used.
Also, there is a Boston brand 2m burst alert plastic hose that fits dishwashers and washing machines. It has 2 layers and when the inner one bursts the outer one holds the water and changes colour. It has a 5 year warranty.

3 Likes

It would certainly provide more protection. The shut off is only effective with a failure that enables a high flow rate. There is no protection if there is a slow leak or a rupture that does not increase the leakage to the specified flow stop volume. Depending on water pressure at the tap, it is worth testing into a bucket through a similar hose to determine if one can get 11 litres per minute from the outlet with a short similar sized flexible hose?

1 Like

That’s correct. From information on the web, most hose failures seem to be catastrophic where there is a significant rupturing of the pipes sidewall.

It would ge interesting to know if these catastrophic failures dominate braided flexible pipe failures…or are a limited type if failure with slow leaks dominating…or slow leaks occuring initially with a full rupture at a later time.

1 Like

Link to video and products that I mention near the top of this post to add to the conversation.

It seems to do what the OP was asking about?

https://www.streamlabswater.com/control

slabs

1 Like

yes it does and while this is a US based website, there are Australian businesses selling similar devices…this one one example

https://save.watersecureco.com.au/flo-smart-water-shutoff
and another

And there are others as well.

The only concern I have about such devices is that they require electricity to operate, which means that power source would need to be installed close to where mains water enters a building. This may come at significant cost to a home owner (like us) who may wish to install such a device.

1 Like

All similar devices have limitations. They don’t prevent failures. They may reduce the damage from a failure. In particular circumstances they may reduce the consequences of a failure, from minor leak or major burst continuing for an extended period of time.

Once installed they become one more item that needs to be maintained. Hopefully nuisance tripping is not a concern. They are an expensive solution to a problem that should not exist.

From a reliability engineering or safety view point, the flow monitoring devices are a lower order of control than elimination of the risk. It is a poor solution, created by poor decisions in the design and purchase of household plumbing. A builder/plumber has a choice. Lower cost and convenience at first build vs a product that should last the lifetime of the property.

The OP in opening the topic has opened up discussion on the risks and how they might be reduced. Home owners bare the cost of mitigation or loss.

Whether the ongoing risks and costs should be accepted by consumers, it seems we have been duded again by poor standards and lack of adequate regulation in the building industry.

At my previous residence I had a plumber install a inline ball valve in a very easy to access position (on exterior wall) into the main water supply line. This made it quite easy shutoff the supply when going away, and simplified supply shutoff when replacing tap washer’s in and around the house.

1 Like

These tubes are not everlasting however as they are subject to metal fatigue. It is important to replace the bottle carefully so that the tube is not bent each time. Every time the tube is bent the closer you are to the time when it will not bend anymore but break.

“…they can be easily turned off if one wishes to do so.” Not if one is 73 years old with dodgy knees, they can’t.

“… install a ceramic valve rather than a traditional washer valve…” Our name brand flick-mixer ceramic valve over the kitchen sink is leaking after only two years use.

Most ceramic valve mixers have warranty periods more than 5 years on the ceramic cartridge. Some companies will send a plumber with a part, and some will only send the part.

As backup there is the Australian Consumer Law if they are not willing to do either.

Depending, contact the mixer brand or the retailer, noting the retailer ‘owns’ your warranty as the first point of call according to the ACL. However it is often more expeditious to go directly to the brand unless they do not provide satisfaction.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions on how to reduce the risk of the common problem of damage and repair/replacement costs caused by leaking or burst flexible water hoses going to taps, toilets, appliances, etc…

The tips have already paid off for me because recently, during a routine check, i discovered a small leak where the dishwasher hose joins the copper cold water pipe under the kitchen sink. And, although small, eventually the leak would have damaged the chipboard cabinet.

The final list of tips is:

1. Check regularly (at least every 6 months) for fraying, rust, corrosion, small leaks etc. and repair or replace any hoses that are not OK. (Note: Hoses do not last forever and are of different qualities and have different warranty periods. To help know when replacement may be required, attach a plastic tag showing the installation date.)
  2. Turn off the water supply when away for more than a few days. (This may be possible close to the hose but if not turn off total water supply)
  3. To reduce corrosion of any metal covering hoses, remove chemicals e.g. for laundry and cleaning from the area near the hoses (e.g. under sinks and laundry tubs), or store them in an airtight container.
  4. If the water pressure is too high, fit pressure reduction valves.
  5. Consider installing anti-burst hoses for dishwashers, washing machines and fridges with connected water supply.
  6. Rodents can chew plastic pipes, so exclude and control rodents. If necessary, consider replacing flexible plastic hoses with ones covered in braided stainless steel.
3 Likes