Australia's BEST supermarket

Thanks for the information

2 Likes

We have new supermarket satisfaction survey results. Here’s the top scoring supermarkets:

Full results:

3 Likes

I vote ALDI. It’s silent. Was in IGA today to get something ALDI didn’t have - and BoomBoomBoom - “music” according to some person’s definition of “MUSIC”. I’m sure they do it to get rid of customers quicker.

2 Likes

I think its supposed to make you want to spend more. gaaaaahhhhhh!

We live in Far North Queensland and only have Woolworths, Coles and IGA. Aldi is a special treat for us when we head south.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @AlanAU.

The observation is comparing an IGA - franchise owner store. Our experience of IGA stores is they vary depending on owner/management. Would you like to share which IGA for the benefit of others in your area?

As an update to the review, it would be informative and useful to offer further background on the industry. EG who owns which brands, availability nationally, and key differences in their business approaches to groceries. This link offers one insight. It is pointed and not fact checked. Supermarkets in Australia | Shop Ethical!

For any future reviews.
Is it fair to compare IGA, SPAR etc as brands vs a chain based network without some qualification? The review is comparing franchised stores with uniform chain stores.

We’ve used some very average Coles and Woolworths stores in our travels. In comparison we’ve also noted some excellent franchised stores as well as never again experiences.

Are the big chains more consistently scored by the reviewers (standard deviation in the scores)? And how does Choice avoid unreliable assessments of franchised brands? IE Franchised stores are not necessarily typical of the average. How can Choice better assess the variability that exists in this segment of the market place?

1 Like

It’s not obvious why Choice decided to exclude from its supermarket survey the experience of infrequent shoppers.

I spend around $100 a week on such shopping. But I choose to do that every six weeks or so. Because supermarkets are not fun places. Nonetheless, my views might help inform the membership.

In contrast, I also spend around $100 a week at the Queen Victoria Market or, less often, at South Melbourne Market. For fresher food and friendly interactions. For fun, in fact.