Australian food products versus Imported where quality is equal Poll

I buy what I think the best product is balanced against how much I think the diversity in quality varies in that product type matched against price diversity - ie if I can’t tell the quality difference between a 10$ item and a 5$ item, I buy the 5$ item … if the Australian product wants to compete, it needs to be good and priced sensibly …

Two examples (food groups) that spring to mind - wine and malt whiskey. The answers aren’t necessarily what might be expected by the uninitiated :rofl:

7 Likes

First I must apologise to vax2000 for not being in topic :slightly_smiling_face:

Sadly exploitation of farm labourers has been the case for centuries in Southern Italy, where tomatoes grow best.

Most migrants to America and Australia were labourers from those parts, going out to find better working conditions.

Now many ‘Illigal migrants’ pass through Italy, the gate to Europe, hoping to find a better life for themselves.

I just hope more will be done by the authorities to stop the abuse of workers.

5 Likes

I try to buy Australian products which are equal to imports, not only to keep wealth and jobs here, but hopefully, to reduce my carbon footprint.

6 Likes

Ditto!!

4 Likes

Automated processing happens and is imperfect and the assurance it doesn’t happen (often) because of stringent controls is priceless. The problem, probably not so severe.

SPC has every possible scanning device on all our lines to identify any fruit stones, pips or other foreign objects that have slipped through the cleaning, sorting and poaching process, but unfortunately from what you have described, a tomato stem has in this case eluded the scanners.
This is why all labels carry the warning: may contain fruit pip, stones or stems. Occasionally fruit stones, stems or pips can get hidden as they stick to fruit/vegetable pieces as it goes through the scanners and sorting in which up to two tonnes of fruit are processed an hour.

We apologise for the inconvenience.
Best wishes, The SPC Team

1 Like

The scanners will be the two legged types.

1 Like

I am not going to try to resolve ‘a’ against ‘b’. :wink:

2 Likes

‘Vine ripened’.
Hardly a foreign object then?

More a mark of authenticity.
We recollect always checking our coral trout fillets to ensure their was a small piece of skin left, firmly part of one corner to assure the product.

By the same measure pin bones etc in other fillets are an assurance the product excludes that of a very large fish. Finding bones or scales at the table is not recommended.

3 Likes

You may have a great future in PR :laughing:

3 Likes