Australian Driving Training Standards

When the road rules are 512 pages and building as in Vic that is probably a given. Might simplifying them and adding ‘and avoid an accident’ to each reduce the carnage as well as increase the pass rate?

2 Likes

Would that really make any difference to observance following the pass being granted? :wink:

1 Like

One never knows unless one tries. As it is avoiding a crash seems all but incidental to the process. Keeping the speed limit and 511 pages of other rules are focal.

Another case of “drivers” who cannot comprehend the road rules.

But they are capable of using Facebook.

Heading north on the Hume last Friday AM it was misty. Lots of normal truck traffic augmented by we long weekenders making for heavy traffic moving along about 80 in a 100 zone in the left lane, and maybe 82 in the right lane.

The speed camera probably missed the semi behind me followed by another then 2 B-doubles all tailgating bumper to bumper. The one on my boot was bullying w/flashing headlamps demanding me pull over and atop the traffic in the left lane so he could move up precisely 1 small car length.

Driver training seems to omit basic physics whereby two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

When we finally got out of the traffic all moving along at 100 in the left lane, then 110 as we got out of the metro area, life on the highways resumed to normal with nary anyone pushing up my boot, not car, nor SUV, nor truckie.

The speed cameras must have worked.

4 Likes

I read an article the other day that claimed that out of all the organs in the human body, only 5 were necessary for survival, namely one lung, one kidney, the liver, the heart and the brain.

I would dispute this based on the idiots driving in the Cairns region who obviously do not actually have a brain, such as the pair of them in front of me this afternoon who both wanted to turn left from the left lane on a 2 lane roundabout, but who both persisted in waiting until all the vehicles in the right hand lane on their right had passed.

In case anyone needs further proof, here is an example of some of them parking at the local shopping centre this afternoon.

You can never be too careful? :wink:

On the whole a roundabout seems to work best when there is not too high a flow of traffic and the traffic slows on approaching. Once one entry starts to bank up they all fail miserably. There is always the option of traffic lights and waiting 2-3 minutes for all the cycles to complete.

P.S.
They are called bumpers or “fenders” due to their intended purpose. Some of those on 4WDs are multi purpose.

Only 2 vehicles wanting to turn left and only 2 vehicles already on the roundabout. It doesn’t get much quieter than that.

One roundabout near the Cairns CBD was replaced by traffic lights this year and a second one is almost complete with traffic lightsreplacing the roundabout.

At least traffic lights are almost idiot proof.

1 Like

I remember a working day in Sydney when all public transport was absent - there were official announcements and signs about “park anywhere, including nature strips, that is ‘safe’” as well as the appeals for people to car pool

1 Like