August 2023 Food Champions Challenge: Slow Food

The franchise giving something back to the community. Just what we might see?
How long some customers have been waiting for the local outlet to be built and open? You can’t rush fast food! :joy:

Apparently the length of time of the dig depends on the available funding and I guess McDonald’s contribution helped a lot. The find was in 2014 while digging for the foundations, and the opening of the fast food store was in February 2017 (if what the websites are reporting is reliable.)
It must be an attraction to have a bit of ancient history which can be seen through a glass panelled floor in your store, personally the sight of a skeleton, even a resin cast one, would put me off my food.:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Perhaps gives new meaning to unhealthy food choices :grinning:

4 Likes

Crikey!

I love a good slow cooked stew. I had a cheap Sunbeam slow cooker, ended up giving it away, because it didnt quite do the job, and bought a larger “Crock Pot” with a hinged lid (very handy)… this one. I always use chuck steak which i coat in flour and brown on the stove or in the electric skillet, and a ton of chopped veggies. Carrot, potato, onion and something green. I don’t always use celery. Anyway, I’ve found that the crockpot is more flexible for me, instead of just the standard on/low/high on the less expensive cookers. I may not use it often, but it has been worth the expense :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have recently tried the waste meat products. Our local butcher had some chicken frames (what’s left after the breast, drumsticks, thighs, wings & skin had been removed), for $1/kg in frozen lumps.

I got two, stewed them up with celery, carrot & potato both skin on and removed them to eat later. The chicken took time to remove all the tiny neck and broken rib bones. We had 2 meals for two, plus 3 individual meals of chicken. There really was a lot of meat left and for $2 it is cheap. Fortunately our butcher is a real butcher who does private kills and cuts up meat, not just buys it in.

The Fisho has also started selling the waste - I bought fish frames which included heads and meat attached to the bones after filletting. Not as much meat as chicken frames and at $5/kg it doesn’t compare. The mixed fish off-cuts (which include bones & fins) were selling for $6/kg which would be better value. I stewed it up, and used the liquor in another dish and the fish meat strained on a main meal - only produced enough for a light meal for two.

I don’t have a slow cooker. These are done on our gas cooktop in stew pots.

5 Likes

Your beautiful post @zackarii reminds me of my early childhood watching my grandmother prepare a chicken from a whole bird which still included head and feet and giblets and she would use every bit of it.
And fish soup with an entire fish with head and all, just cleaned out and scales removed.
This type of cooking did take a long time to prepare and cook but the flavours were sensational.
Slow food sometimes also means slow-cooking and that’s where modern appliances come in to make our life easier, but fast food ( as indicated by @PhilT in his hot chips recipe) is not really fast to prepare and cook, the adjective refers to service: mass produced, quickly available to be consumed because of fast service.

3 Likes