Audio outputs on Smart TVs, and Issues for Bluetooth Headphones/Hearing Aids

I have no idea where to put this diatribe. Perhaps one of the moderators can sort that out?

Recently I came within a whisker of handing over the cash for a good second hand LG smart TV to replace my dumb TV.

A few nanoseconds before parting with my cash, it occurred to me to check if the TV had *audio return sockets on the back. I quickly discovered that it did not have audio return OR headphone sockets and put my cash back in my pocket.

As a hearing impaired couch potato, I use headphones to listen to my TV and these require either an audio return socket or headphones socket (audio return is preferred).

I suppose cost saving is the reason some TV sets do not come with this feature.

I don’t know if choice takes this feature into account when reviewing TV sets, but for those of us who are deaf as a block of wood and use headphones, it’s a very important feature.

*audio return is a line output level set of 2 x RCA sockets (red and black) which can be used to drive headphones, sound bar, external speakers etc. It is preferred to headphone socket as headphone sockets usually disconnect the TV speakers.

BB

3 Likes