Asbestos in talcum powder

That is the evidence, now for the anecdote as of early November 2022.

My wife apparently heard this on the news, and advised me at the time. I failed to pay attention until I listened to a podcast episode about the sorry saga yesterday.

We have used Johnson & Johnson baby powder for many years, and I was immediately concerned. She, taking note of my concern, agreed to discard our current stock and visit the local pharmacy to find a replacement (corn starch is the most common alternative).

The pharmacy had another brand that contained corn starch, or Johnson & Johnson’s brand with talc - she purchased the other brand.

I subsequently wrote to the pharmacy last night, expressing my concerns and asking what actions it proposed to take. This afternoon I received an email from the Group Business Manager, to whom my email had been passed. Capital Chemist has issued an immediate notice to all of its pharmacies, instructing that the product is to be removed from shelves and binned; Johnson & Johnson has apparently reimbursed the group for the cost of current stock.

This is what high quality customer service looks like. Great work once again, Capital Chemist.

4 Likes