Are Carbon Fibre Bicycle Components Prone to Catastrophic Failure?

This is probably an unnecessarily hairsplitting discussion of semantics but here is a Melbourne bike store selling a “frame” by which it is implicitly understood that it also includes the fork and seatpost:

Also from the Specialized website:

“…our FreeFoil Shape Library to an all-new Rider-First Engineered™ frame, to deliver a race bike that is truly without compromise”

https://www.specialized.com/au/en/s-works-tarmac-sl7-frameset/p/175296?color=290842-175296&searchText=74920-0249

Are we really going to read that to say that claims made about the “frame” do not implicitly extend as well to the fork and that, unlike the frame, the fork is not made “truly without compromise”? I doubt it. As I say, in common everyday functional usage the term “frame” often implicitly encompasses the matching seatpost and fork.

With different examples that suggest an either or outcome. Does it matter in this discussion?

• If we talk about a fork failure it is self evident which part of the bike has failed.
  • If we talk about a seat post or a carbon fibre handlebar failure it is self evident which part of the bike has failed.
  • If we talk about a frame failure, What do most assume? It is neither a seat post, the front forks or handle bars that has failed.

Happy to agree to disagree and return the focus to the important questions first raised in this topic.

There are genuine concerns with carbon fibre bicycles and theIr integrity. Riders/purchasers need some assurance as to the quality and safety of their bikes, especially those with carbon fibre construction. NDT services propose a solution. (My interpretation.)

Notes:
In the instance of the fatality (David Keith Malloy) referred to in the original post the Coroner made no adverse findings. Paras 17, 18, 19 are relevant to the front fork failure.

In prior posts the expertise of a Mr Raoul Luescher and his NDT expertise has been noted several times. His advice to the Coroner after examining the bicycle involved follows.

This is to indicate the likely cause of the accident was not due to defective front forks. IE the cause was likely an object picked up in the Spokes of the front wheel.
Mr Luescher also advised he was unable to determine if there had been any loss of strength in the forks due to age or environment.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the good points raised in this discussion. CHOICE I’m sure will raise the request with their testing team and their investigations team. @mark_m, @gordon, and @sator have certainly covered many of the problem areas that are prone to failure, and @airedale has raised the issue of fakes.

Currently no new information has been raised and so I have temporarily closed the topic with a timer to allow CHOICE to sift through all the information and decide on their response/s.

Once again Thank you all for your discussion and information to date. The topic will automatically reopen on the 23rd of this Month.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 6 days.