April 2023 Food Champions Challenge: What is your favourite rice dish What type of rice do you use and How do you cook and serve it?

I’ve used arborio and long grain rice and the result is still really good, if I dont have any tomatoes I use 1/2 tin of diced tomatoes, I just chop all the sofrito ingredients because why use a processor that has to be washed and I prefer chicken thigh because it is juicier.
Really easy and very tasty.

3 Likes

Sounds great I will try it.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Thanks @Gaby for the challenge.
No need for a debate. Rice is part of a healthy diet.

There are so many varieties and so many ways to prepare rice it’s one of the few buys most of us can still afford to feed a hungry family. Even sushi can be a humble choice using fresh raw vegetables, canned tuna or fried chicken. A little bit of filling goes a long way.

Apologies for drifting OT.

3 Likes

Managed to miss the rice conversation.
My favourite rice is cooked on a community volunteer cooking day run by FOFA, feed one feed all.
We use donated rice, rescued vegetables which usually need some of the wilted or brown bits discarded, eggs that need checking for freshness, some other variety of proteins and seasonings. Plus a whole lot of laughter as we are chopping and stirring in a rent free commercial kitchen on one day a week.
The result is delicious, and with other meals our cookup is up to 500 meals, packed and frozen which go to a variety of outlets for distribution.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mijke!
Good to hear rice is being cooked for a very worthy cause, and that it’s all done with a joyful heart.
:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I like rice - in so many different ways - perhaps because I had so little of it, growing up in a traditional “Australian” home, relying on potatoes for starch. I only remember the occasional rice pudding. Maybe that is why I have so many favourite styles of rice!
Recently I made sushi, for which I always use sushi rice - cooked by absorption, which is how I cook rice for fried rice or as an accompaniment (Jasmine or Basmati) to dishes such as Thai Green Curry or Rogan Josh.
I also love making Chicken & Mushroom Risotto and now you have reminded me that we haven’t had Jambalaya for a long time! I recently discovered that Arborio rice also works well for Spanish Rice. Perhaps because the rice is browned first and then liquid (stock) added?
We also like to use the pre-cooked pouches of brown rice when we make a quick weeknight dinner.

5 Likes

I usually enjoy basmati rice served with an Indian Korma Curry. Basmati rice is low GI so better for you. I also find it the easiest to cook - boil a large saucepan of water with some salt. When bubbling pour 500grms of basmati rice into the water and stir well and boil for about 10 minutes - stirring to ensure it doesn’t get lumpy. No lid required. Test some and if still a little firm, remove from heat rinse very well in a colander with cold water. The main thing is not to overcook it if you want to reheat. Always remember to rinse in cold water as it will continue to cook if left in the hot water. If you need all the rice let it dry out and when you want to serve it put in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 3-4 minutes. It comes out fluffy and hot. If you do not need it all put single serves into self-seal plastic bags and freeze. Very useful when you live alone. Usually takes one minute in microwave to heat up and finish cooking a single serve. The rice can be used with other dishes such as stir fries or a casserole.

6 Likes

Another of my favourite rice dish is Risotto Milanese. It is a traditional dish of that region ‘Ris sgiald’ a food the colour of gold symbolic of the city of Milan.

Before Risotto every rice dish recipe started with boiled rice; the technique of slow-cooking by adding broth gradually was still unknown.

On Master Chef risotto is called the ‘death dish’ because they say it’s difficult to make well. It does need a few simple rules to follow: a good risotto is made from a high starch, medium or short grain rice (it absorbs the liquid and releases starch) never to be rinsed, because rinsing removes starch (and nutrients and vitamins too) it starts with a light stirring in the olive oil or butter and some onion, and then the boiling stock (often chicken stock) can be added gradually in small quantities and stirred constantly, this breaks up the grains, releases starch, and makes it ‘creamy’ even while al dente.
To give it that golden colour a lightly beaten egg can be thoroughly blended-in just before removing from the heat. Once removed from the heat, butter and grated Parmesan can also be mixed-in.
To the basic recipe other ingredients can be added according to our taste: mushrooms, meat, herbs and spices.

I often cook mine with a Bolognaise sauce, adding the rice and stirring until it has absorbed the sauce, and then starting to add the liquid, never letting it sit in the liquid, only adding a little at a time.
A good sized sprinkling of Parmesan on top of the plated dish is a must!

4 Likes

I just cook it in the microwave. 2 cups rice, coated in a teaspoon of oil, 4 cups boiling water and cook on high for around 11 minutes. Leave to stand covered for 10 minutes, stir and serve. For fried rice, leave it in the fridge uncovered to dry out for a day or 2, stirring occasionally and then make fried rice.

4 Likes

Can’t resist adding my Risotto recipe here!
To serve four adults. You need time and patience! A wok or deep frying pan.
Four cups of Arborio rice (approx. 500 grams)
1 chopped brown onion
3 cloves Australian garlic – chopped fine
1 cup good quality Australian olive oil (approx. 250ml)
8 medium brown mushrooms – sliced
2 rashers Australian bacon (not from overseas and packed in Australia)
2 cups dry white wine (or any white wine you have leftover - can be no- alcohol) pre-heated in microwave
I litre pack of unsalted chicken stock (or home-made if you have some) – pre-heat in microwave
Choice of vegetables – snow and/or sugar snap peas, broccoli, asparagus, broccolini, green beans (Mixed or only one or two) Keep peas whole and cut other veg into small pieces.
Chilli to taste if enjoyed! I usually use one small red one. Chilli flakes can also be used
Handful of fresh Italian parsley chopped
A knob of butter
Shaved parmesan cheese to taste

Method

Cut up bacon and cook in a little of the olive oil until it is well done but not too crispy, remove from the wok and leave on paper towel –* bacon is optional, but if not used you may need to add some salt.

Heat remainder of oil in wok until hot but not smoking and add onions and cook slowly until soft, add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and chopped chilli if used. Stir well until mushrooms are cooked.

Add rice and stir thoroughly so that it is all covered in the oil and gently fry until it starts to colour slightly stirring all the time. Then slowly add warm wine stirring until all is absorbed.

Then start adding a small amount of warm stock, stirring adding more as the rice is absorbed, keep stirring. When almost all the stock has been used, add green vegetables and cooked bacon. Don’t overcook vegetables, a bit of crunch adds body to the risotto.

Switch off heat and add the knob of butter and stir it in well and then stir in the parmesan cheese.

Serve immediately.

Note: Cooked chicken pieces or prawns can be added with the green vegetables. I also find using dried porcini mushrooms add a delicious flavour, but they need to be soaked prior to cooking.

4 Likes

My favourite recipe with rice is vegetarian byriani, which is also vegan, using basmati rice. Everyone who has it wants the recipe, so here’s the link : Vegetarian Biryani | Feasting At Home

4 Likes

Leftover rice can be used not only to make Fried Rice but also to make Rice Fritters either savoury with the addition of veggies, ham, cheese… then golden fried. Or made into sweet fritters by adding eggs, dried fruit, spices… and sprinkling with sugar after frying and draining.

1 Like