April 2022 Food Challenge : Air Fryer Ovens . The good ,the bad and the ugly

Stayed with friends some years ago who were mad air-fryers. After watching them use it time and time again, we couldn’t see the benefit over an oven unless only cooking for one or two.

With multiple people in our family the air fryers just don’t have the capacity to make it useful. When we use the oven we often have multiple things cooking at once utilizing the full width of the shelves.

Perhaps in the future when we are just two, it may make sense to revisit air fryers to see if it is worthwhile purchasing one, but probably by then there will be some new fad.

8 Likes

:grinning: I researched these ovens, you guessed it I checked out CHOICE. When I read that these air fryer ovens are just a smaller version of a regular fan forced oven my curiosity was satisfied. I still can’t believe people think that the air fryer is some miraculous new invention.

5 Likes

Air Fryers are great benchtop ovens that heat up quickley and use less power than a main kithchen oven, so they are realy good for quick meals for a couple of people. Unfortunatly they don’t fry, to fry you must cook food in some type of fat. It is a manufacturers con making people think they can fry food in an oven. You can’t beat deep fried chips, especialy Heston Blumenthal’s tripple cooked chips, fantastic. Anyone thinking you can replace a deep fryer with an air fryer and have the same results are kidding themselves. For deep frying I use a wok over a wok burner with a probe thermometer.

2 Likes

Either way reviews say not easiest to keep clean and take up bench space. Prices vary from 100 to several 100.

For some users, the compromise may be worthwhile.

Our experience is they provide an acceptable outcome, especially of frozen product that is par cooked or coated. This may not be deep frying or shallow frying perfection. It’s improved our kitchen outcomes, and also saves heating up the gas oven.

The very significant plus with the product is there is no vat of super hot oil that can cause the most terrible and life long indelible burns, or catch fire when heated over a naked flame, or erupt out of the vessel when excess moisture is superheated.

Open frying has a place in cooking. There are risks whether using a wok, a deep oil frier or a heavy cast iron pot. Looking to the now very common TV and online cooking programs, they assume we all know and understand how to manage the risks.

Relevant here.