Anyone using Powershop?

I changed over to Powershop (a pain-free process) around 18 months ago. I have never looked back. Apart from the significant cost savings available, they notify me on my smartphone of specials, which i can purchase with only a couple of clicks. They e-mail me receipts or purchases so I can keep track of costs and power consumption. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

I have been trying to encourage them to enter the gas market!

2 Likes

Where is your proof they are dishonest?

Powershop are the best short of generating your own. Their supply is 100% offset with carbon certificates and they are very helpful wiTh their support. Great company - with their smart phone app you can see what you are usIng and adjust your habits.
It took a NZ company to show us how.

Well, GetUp and other NGOs sem to push that they are somehow better than other companies. Ask them. I canā€™t see how they are different at all, and in fact I know Red Energy is both renewable and cheaper so why would I bother. Thatā€™s all. I just wonder why NGOs are so into pushing powershop ahead of other suppliers. I know some are dead bad, but not all, so why favour one over the others?

I think you are kidding yourself. Red Energy is 100% offset by hydro power generation and considerably cheaper. Why would I use Powershop?

I did my own research into the options for energy retailers and chose Diamond Energy. Weā€™ve been very happy with them.

Diamond was ranked at number two by Greenpeace in 2014. At that time they didnā€™t offer accredited GreenPower (though all their power was solar), but they did by the time I was looking to switch. I did the maths based on my electricity consumption and compared them with Powershop and Origin. They came out cheaper for a range of scenarios I plugged in and they are Australian, owning their own generators. Plus you donā€™t have fuss around with special offers on a mobile app to get a good price. Their customer service is great (not that Iā€™ve needed it much) - a real person actually picks the phone, no machines!

Powershop doesnā€™t automatically give you GreenPower, nor does any other energy company Iā€™ve looked at. You have to request it and itā€™s an added cost.

I have had Powershop pushed at me by many NGOs, and it has been very frustrating for me as the NGOs (especially GetUp) donā€™t have an option on their system for ā€œI have switched to a better company but it wasnā€™t the one you suggested, so please stop harassing me about itā€, so I received dozens of emails and phone calls saying ā€œyou said youā€™d switch but you havenā€™tā€. It made me doubly glad I went with a smaller company. I gather there is some financial benefit to the NGOs if people switch following their promotion of the product.

Finally, being carbon neutral doesnā€™t make a company the best. They still generate greenhouse gases but they pay money somewhere for this to be offset, eg by funding a renewable energy system in a developing world country. I donā€™t know the specifics for Powershop but keep your eyes open and ask what it actually means.

I have been using Powershop for over a year now and my unit price for last month was less than 18cents. I look out for deals and buy in advance to keep the price down. The estimates they provide for my power are usually very close. I love the app and like their business model.

I am in Victoria, and have been using Powershop for 2 years, the last year I have saved $500+, takes a little getting used to using app. and grabbing the specials, but I am now about 4 weeks in credit, and 2 people in house use between $3-5 TOTAL cost per day, and we certainly donā€™t go without at all. Very Highly Recommended.

1 Like

Iā€™ ve been using Powershop for about a year, and think itā€™s excellent, both in terms of price and of comprehensive service, including breakdowns of your spending, comparisons with others, etc. I wish it handled gas usage as well.

1 Like

Wow, @susan.mclean - 18 cents per unit is great. Are you in Victoria or NSW?

Yes, I live in Victoria

@susan.mclean Hmm, that might explain it - have just started (in NSW) and best I can do is 22c. Well done!

powershop is terrific. The base rate is less than others. With the 'phone app you get regular opportunities to buy special packages. If you need help their staff are friendly, informed and endlessly patient

Itā€™s hard to say as electricity prices go up so quickly and Powershop uses a different measurement of use to Energy Australia, AGL, and the other older companies. If you pre-buy blocks of power it is cheaper than paying after you have used the energy.

I switched to powershop about 14 months ago, I find the costs on par with my old usage, but I can influence that with pre-purchase top ups.
Things I love:
I can send a pic of of my meter read to help calibrate their fee charges, as they donā€™t send people around to read your meter that often. The second time I sent in a reading my account went into credit which took about 2 months to level off .

• can see usage, top up discounts, account details all from my phone app.
  • Iā€™ve called about 3 times and customer service is prompt, polite and professional. Last time I called was to relocate (800km north). All done on the phone in about 2 minutes, with the same account covering overlap of power connection to 2 addresses. So easy.
  • green options when purchasing top ups. When Iā€™m feeling flush I buy them, otherwise I got for the budget option.

Iā€™m a pretty tough customer and havenā€™t come across anything about this business that I have an issue with.

Iā€™m in Sydney and switched to Powershop 1.5 months ago as they said theyā€™d install a smart meter for me free of charge which would deal with the NSW 60c FIT discontinuation on December 31. In the first month theyā€™ve come out 10% more expensive than my previous provider Dodo based on what I used (Iā€™ve taken the July 1st price increases). Hoping they keep true to their word and get my smart meter installed before the end of the year, otherwise I will have switched over and be paying more for my power for nothing.

YES - was one of the first to sign up in Melbourne - learned about it from GetUp! Was extremely easy to switch and PowerShopā€™s customer service is Actually Really IS customer service answer every question promptly and clearly.

Have been loving cancelling my AGL account Hooray for coal free power! Hooray for being able to choose sustainable / renewable / clean energy.

Enjoy being able to see a summary every week of how much and when energy is consumed. No problem in buying units in advance for discount so do not have to worry about bills. Also appreciate that if I buy GetUp! bundle GetUp! benefits too.
Also I think PowerShop still has the best feed in tariff too.

Extremely satisfied, and strongly recommend. Iā€™d be even more thrilled if PowerShop could replace my reliance on gas for cooking - solar flares?

1 Like

I posted about Powershot above and couldnā€™t be happier. I called them recently to ask if, in my new build in a warehouse, if I had solar panels and batteries could I top up as required from the grid at off peak times. The man at the other end of the conversation was very helpful and basically told me how I could do it technically,
Try that with the dirty half dozen who are just hanging on as long as they can to Halewood and other polluting generators, My supplier for the array, batteries and management tools assesses that I will be drawing from the grid for less than 80 hours a year!!

1 Like

I have been with Powershop for ten years and not only do they buy certificates but they also pay a feed tariff to people putting their excess solar into the grid

1 Like

I got switched over a few days ago. Clueless how it works, had no idea it was such a different scheme. Currently trying to buy power but the site seems to be not working. Completely bamboozled, you might say.