Another multi-million dollar scam exposed

For a while, I worked in a unit in which one of my duties was pursuing debts owed to a government agency. Only once in those years did I resort to a garnishee. It’s a terrifyingly blunt instrument. Almost impossible to control. Clearly, in the current environment, that isn’t a concern.

This probably doesn’t belong in this thread, but is associated:

2 Likes

Yey another article regarding Centrelink’s disgusting robodebt scams.

2 Likes

Another article regarding Centrelink’s disgusting and totally unfair robodebt program.

Taxpayers are required to keep most business documents for 5 years and a few for 7 years yet Centrelink expect that persons should somehow be able to produce records which are 9 years or older.

4 Likes

Another article regarding Centrelink’s disgraceful treatment of disabled persons.

Centrelink. Absolutely disgusting one day. Totally reprehensible the next.

2 Likes

Staff do what they’re told to do (or resign). They’re told to do what they do by people we elect. Ultimately, responsibility is ours.

3 Likes

I have a friend in a similar situation. Waited two years to be told his claim was rejected. During this time, was taken off Newstart on several occasions because Centrelink kept losing his records. Meanwhile, was diagnosed with cancer and required to undergo treatment with little money or assistance from Centrelink. Previously in the workforce for fifty years. Have to wonder at times if Centrelink are hoping for a terminal outcome to occur before paying for what is the bleeding obvious. Luckily, he has many friends who are willing to help out and spare what they can.

2 Likes

Now Slater & Gordon are launching a class action regarding robodebt.

This should be interesting.

1 Like

Mayhap they smell “Blood in the water”…a bit of a feeding frenzy may occur, Govt beware!

2 Likes

Or noticed something fishy:

And a bit about how it works and where it fits:

3 Likes

Another article regarding the robodebt scam.

So whilst Centrelink is perfectly happy to bully the helpless, and any resulting suicides are irrelevant to them, they run away when challenged at the AAT.

What a disgusting bunch of bottom-feeding grubs.

An article regarding the government cracking down on Centrelink fraud.

This is what they should be doing as opposed to bullying the vulnerable with their robodebt scam.

But this is what they persist in going instead.

Maybe they could offer a bounty or spotters fee to get others to report scammers/fraudsters. Payment only made when the scammers/fraudsters are prosecuted.

This might make individuals wary of abusing the system…as they might never know who is listening, watching and potentially reporting.

An article regarding Centrelink intending to target 1.6 million people with their robodebt scam over the next 3 years.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/centrelink-plans-16m-robo-debt-reviews/ar-AAHUs2v?ocid=spartandhp

And a bit of humour included.

’ “Customers do not need to take legal action for an independent review of a decision to be undertaken.”

Two people who have taken legal action so far have had their debts wiped, while the Labor opposition is supporting a class action against the program.’

3 Likes

Seems government is a scam artist extraordinaire as well as mostly untouchable, Reading this is Orwellian as well as over the top hard to believe, but.

4 Likes

Debts to Centrelink are almost without fail repayable even if they caused the mistake. It is not a common thing for the debt to be wiped for their mistake. ATO debts even if you go bankrupt are required to be repaid, and I would guess this is a fairly common theme for most Federal Depts in that way of treating those who they see as being paid too much.

3 Likes

That is true, but no recompense for the hassle and problems defending oneself along the way, either.

4 Likes

Very true, you prove your innocence at your cost and still have to repay the other’s mistake. The “justice” system often works only in the favour of those who have lots of money to fund the battle and get recompense. Those without lots of funds may still win the battle (ie be shown to be innocent/not at fault) but lose the war.

5 Likes

Yet another disgusting example of Centrelink’s robodebt scam.

2 Likes

This is fully a function of the current government and its zeal. While I have no problems with government trying to claw back incorrect benefits paid, the methodology and arrogance is over the top. Agencies only do what their ministers demand, so this goes right up the pole to successive LNP ministers who have doubled down on how good and fair it is. Ministerial ‘leadership’ like this is what enough voters respect and select, and for the rest, not much choice (no pun intended).

4 Likes

I really wouldn’t want to be a public servant under this government:

1 Like