Aluminium foil strength

Wikipedia agrees.
For USA product standard household foil is 0.016mm (16 microns)
And for heavy duty household foil 0.024mm (24 microns)

The Matador brand measured 39micron appears to be better than the accepted heavy duty standard by those measures.

Foils are produced in heavier grades such as those used for sealing Milo tins or making pie dishes etc. I’ve only seen such marketed in bulk for product manufacturers.

There are other factors that can influence the strength including how the material is worked and shaped during manufacture and rolling. Some household cooking foils with supposedly superior strength may be or used to be patterned.

P.S. for those wondering about the Wikipedia measurements.
1 mil is American for 0.001 inch, or 1 thou for the old timers.

2 Likes

Maybe. Or maybe this is old tech and all those advantages have been shared around by now and all the alloys and mills are now optimised for rolling at high speed and not for strength. I am betting on option #2.

We would know one way or another if a systematic study was done by some community-minded organisation with the right skills and resources.

2 Likes

As you don’t have the power to coerce me, I shall relate a monkey story. I have a friend who lived in Africa for some time, and he had a Colobus monkey as a pet. It was a very intelligent animal. The queen of Spain had a particularly intelligent one that could captain a ship, and it went on to ‘discover’ the Americas. That was Christopher Colobus. ( No monkeys were harmed in this attempt at humour )

6 Likes

Are :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: really that smart? :joy:

When it comes to aluminium foils they are supplied in a wide range of sizes, thickness and strengths/properties for more than just covering the roast in the oven.

Some background on what is available to manufacturing.

Also some interesting and possibly useful background on the relative strengths and properties of aluminium foils if one navigates the site further than the link. Pricing in Euro ex shipping if one needs some. And some inspiration for how to test?

2 Likes

I purchased a new long pack today from aldi i still have the older one has, some left. It will be surprising to see how strong it is. The current i have seems quite good. Can only hope it is ok