Alloy vs Steel wheels

Some time past?

Isn’t the main access road into the Gorge now sealed?
Most of the other roads around the National Park are 4WD only as best as I can recollect.

P.S.
There are alloys available for heavy duty and suitable for routine use on dirt roads. The biggest issue with ‘off road’ use where roads and tracks do not exist is generally tyre damage. Steel split rim style wheels make tyre repair or replacement in situ more practical.

1 Like

I see a lot of heavy trucks and semi-traliers wearing alloy wheels so they must be very sturdy.

3 Likes

Yes.

Today’s norm for modern passenger and most light commercial vehicles, tyres are tubeless. It doesn’t make any difference whether a wheel has a steel or alloy rim. An impact causing deformation is bad news, and will likely cause the tyre to go flat.

4 Likes

I had a damaged alloy wheel. paid $950 to replace it ( had to be flown in from CS)! Who cares about the look by prices like that? In addition, I think more of a problem are the tyres. low wall tyres guaranty more damage to the wheel!

1 Like

Alloys lighter and reduce the unsprung weight. Hold the road better but under normal circumstances you probably wouldn’t notice. Have popped hubcaps off steel rims because they can bend.

4 Likes