Alloy vs Steel wheels

Yet newer curb installation are usually more rounded and lower. It appears curbs may have evolved in many places. It is the huge number of old school curbs that might be in place for decades to come that are the problem, as well as drivers who don’t see them or just misjudge…

2 Likes

I am sure you are right in regards to roads, but you would need to enter this car park for the first time, with no cars in the spaces to the left of the entry, to get some idea of the lack of visibility issue. A sharp left turn past the kerbing is required. Most drivers avoid it, but enough don’t, which indicates there is a problem.

I think this is a reasonable option although I suspect it would be a bit pricey.

1 Like

So most drivers are aware of their surroundings and can avoid it. Others aren’t and hit it. If every driver hit it, it would be a problem and potential design fault. The same applies to traffic islands at intersections, traffic calming devices, wall in underground carparks and the list goes on. These have scuff marks where inattentive drivers have hit them, when most don’t.

Should roads, driveways, gateways, walls etc be designed for those not aware of their surrounds? If they were, cities and roads would take up most of the country.

These are, and often installed to allow wheel rollover. Rectangular kerbing is used to prevent wheel rollover. In a carpark preventing wheel rollover may be critical as the islands/off carpark areas provide refuge to pedestrians walking through carparks. They also prevent vehicles running over the feet of those waiting to cross through a carpark.

2 Likes

There is always an option.

Public streets, main roads etc are all designed to standards for lane widths and turning radius. The more difficult turns tend to be in the older parts with narrow laneways in our cities.

Shopping centre parking can be a compromise between the consultant/designers and the client’s demands. IE to maximise the number of parking spaces everything else is minimised. There is an Aussie Standard AS/NZS 2890 parts 1 and 2. Part 1 dates from 2004. Compliance is subject to the applicable LGA planning regulations and whether they were actively enforced at the time.

There are several Standard vehicle sizes including ‘B85’ and ‘B99’ used in setting out the design of off street parking in the standard.

I’m not familiar with the Standard in detail, or able to comment on whether it is strictly observed.

Note:
Our Woolies car park has high curbs and near square corners where lanes join. The lanes are barely a car width. It is impossible to make a left turn without swinging wide into the opposite lanes. Hence carmageddon if there is a line of traffic coming the other way. The concrete is tyre rubber black.

It is not an F250 friendly space nor for a 4WD unless one is accustomed to mounting the kerb as necessary. There has been a liberal use of bollards (concrete filled steel posts) that wear the paint of numerous vehicles. At the entry to the car park is a sign with fine print excusing the owner of the property from any liability, once you enter.

5 Likes

Local government planning schemes often state design requirements for private carparks, including meeting AS or other design codes. When designing carparks, a number of factors are used such as vehicle types (light vehicles through to trucks), turning radius, vehicle sizes etc. There are also standard minimum carpark space for each vehicle class and nominated access/roadway widths (for different carpark configurations and whether carpark space is accessed from the roadway).

Traffic engineers will know if a carpark complies (which I made a suggestion in an earlier post about engaging one if claim for compensation is made against the carpark owner - the same applies with trying to argue to replace the kerbing). If it is a major recent development, like a supermarket centre, they most likely will comply as it would have been signed off by a registered engineer as part of the final design process. This is not saying what has been installed complies, as it could be slightly different for some reason. This is where engaging a traffic engineer to advise could be useful.

One has to weigh up whether spending many $100s, if not $1000s to find out is worth it…especially if the engineer says it complies. If it complies a businesses won’t spend $1000s and disrupt customers for the wishes of one customer that would like it replaced with a tyre friendly kerbing.

3 Likes

Yes, and to the extent a standard is advisory or mandatory, it makes a significant difference to the outcome. There is an assumption that the developer is above reproach, as are the consultants and finally the construction contractor. Once on private property the liability arising from the finished product is primarily between the tenant and owner.

The LGA once paid it’s fees is unlikely to show further interest beyond the front entry or gate. We only need to look to:

To realise our world seldom meets expectation.

4 Likes

Carparking is quite different and major public carparks corners aren’t usually cut. The reason being is they are a public insurance liability and if they have knowingly cut corners, this exposes the business. As Aldi own many of their stand-alone supermarket sites…and many complexes are owned by larger companies, it isn’t something they would (or their insurer) would accept.

This is also why rectangular kerbing is possibly common in carparks…as they are there to prevent vehicles traversing them. Having drivable kerbing may increase risks for the carpark’s owner and insurer.

Carparks in a unit complex is a different matter.

2 Likes

What then?

When a car cannot traverse or turn in the car park without crossing into the path of opposing traffic, it is bad design. No excuse needed. Bollards, raised curbing, garden beds or steel barriers, all serve to direct traffic.

It’s not a point to concede. Simply an observation I can relate to. Should we accept the way things are and make excuses for bad design, or call it out?

Some car parks are better designed than others. Public included, based on recent experiences of the older and newer versions in Brisbane.

End of Diversion! :wink:

4 Likes

Provided you run the alloys at pressures recommended by the tyre manufacturer, NOT the vehicle manuf…, no great problems - I’ve been running alloys on gravel/potholed roads for years.

3 Likes

When I first started to drive the standard steel wheels were the only option. I remember buying Sunraysia steel spoke tyres to replace the standard alloys, and having to wait for them to be produced in the size I needed. The steel spoke tyres were mainly used on 4WDs and quite expensive. At about this time, the aftermarket hubcaps that looked like spoke wheels became a big thing. So many fell off that most local markets had people selling secondhand spoke hubcaps. Thus it was sometimes possible to replace the one that fell off.

Alloy spoke wheels entered the marked and became an option when buying a vehicle, particularly the better marques. After-market alloys became popular for ‘jazzing up’ a car, as was tinted strips on the windscreen.

Now-days the alloy spoke wheel is the default for but the cheapest passenger vehicles. For most intra-city and highway driving they are perfectly good. Steel spoke wheels are still better for 4WDs and light commercials for the extra strength and ability to carry more load they offer.

Manufacturers tune their vehicles suspensions to the original wheel and tyre combination. I’m sure you are aware that replacing the tryes with better ones will improve the grip and stopping ability of the vehicle. Changing to a different type of wheel may also affect the handling characteristics of your vehicle as well, and putting on steel wheels may increase fuel consumption due to the extra weight.

Also consider that the resale value of any vehicle will be greater with the original alloy (or steel) spoke wheels.

So stick with whatever wheel the vehicles come with from the dealer (edit: when purchasing your new vehicle).

3 Likes

If you have to replace a factory alloy at your own cost it can be a wash or even cheaper to buy a set of 4 quality after markets and selling the remaining factory wheels. The smart ones will find after markets that resemble an OEM while those who pimp their rides go for whatever they fancy and might have some pushback when it comes time to sell or trade.

Agreed.

I was responding to the OP’s question about the initial purchase. I will edit my response to clarify this point. Thank you.

1 Like

Alloy wheels are easily scratched/damaged. My son hit a kerb and did substantial damage. You have to be extra careful when parking beside a kerb.

1 Like

So can hubcaps and also the edge of steel rims if one isn’t careful. I been in a car where the driver scuffed the edge of steel rims but the damage wasn’t all that noticeable as it was on the leading edge of the rim. Many alloys tend to be flat where they meet the tyre meaning damage is wider and more noticeable.

I have also destroyed some hubcaps, not by kerbing, but through losing them after hitting a bump…causing them to disintegrate when they hit a barrier. I have also hit hubcaps which have fallen off other vehicles as well. Often one sees chipped or scuffed hubcaps as well.

The risks of accidental damage increases as the profile of the tyre decreases…as there is often less sidewall flex to potentially protect any rim/hubcap.

At the end of the day, any kerbing can cause rim damage and one should take care when driving or parking near a kerb.

1 Like

Reminds me of the time I was driving Mum’s new Renault north across the Sydney Harbour Bridge one night, in the early/mid 1970s. I heard a hubcap come off on the left side, causing me some unjustified guilt. Late that night on returning south across the bridge,I travelled slower than usual and fortunately/unfortunately I spotted the hubcap leaning up against the fence on the far side of the bridge. Traffic was very light, so I stopped in one of the gaps in the bridge structure between the left two lanes. I crossed 6 lanes of minimal traffic, picked up Mum’s hubcap, and continued on home. I have gained a bit more commonsense since then. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yes, they’re not real solid. One of mine was damaged on a reasonably well formed country gravel road (to Carnarvan Gorge). I certainly wouldn’t take them off-road.

1 Like

Some time past?

Isn’t the main access road into the Gorge now sealed?
Most of the other roads around the National Park are 4WD only as best as I can recollect.

P.S.
There are alloys available for heavy duty and suitable for routine use on dirt roads. The biggest issue with ‘off road’ use where roads and tracks do not exist is generally tyre damage. Steel split rim style wheels make tyre repair or replacement in situ more practical.

1 Like

I see a lot of heavy trucks and semi-traliers wearing alloy wheels so they must be very sturdy.

3 Likes

Yes.

Today’s norm for modern passenger and most light commercial vehicles, tyres are tubeless. It doesn’t make any difference whether a wheel has a steel or alloy rim. An impact causing deformation is bad news, and will likely cause the tyre to go flat.

4 Likes

I had a damaged alloy wheel. paid $950 to replace it ( had to be flown in from CS)! Who cares about the look by prices like that? In addition, I think more of a problem are the tyres. low wall tyres guaranty more damage to the wheel!

1 Like